Xd40sc & Idpa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any chance anyone is loading any 40 cal reduced loads for IDPA? I am wanting to get into reloading and IDPA and was curious if anyone has any tips/load data to share. Ordered up some J&K 180gr tc and have some wolf small primers to start. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.....I still need to get my press. I am pretty much set on the Hornady LNL single stage. Hoping Santa has one under the tree for me :)

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minimum search words dangit!! Thanks Olyeller. Ill try 40 minor load? the guys from J&K also suggested they would help me come up with a good starting point as well. Just curious if anyone had "been there done that". Also anyone know where around Tulsa I could access a crony? Hate to not hit PF with too little of a bunny fart.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In my limited gun a 175gr lead bullet over 3.5gr of Solo1000 gave me around 145 power factor. I went all the way down to 3.2gr and got even lower pf but I just could not tell the difference anymore so I stuck with 3.5. Oal was 1.135 which I think is SAAMI max length. Remember, this was in a 1911 pattern gun, I seem to remember lots of shooters on Enos having problems with XD's running 40 loads this light.

Enos will have far more 40 minor loads though, with many different kinds of bullets.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guys who run 40 S&W in IDPA for SSP or ESP don't go all the way down to a 125 power factor. Something like 145 to 155 power factor seems the practical range.

I ran a minor load of 4.9 Winchester Super Target, 155 gr lead RN at 1.135 cartridge overall length, taper crimp .420 +/- .001 for 154 power factor. It shoots very well in all Glocks and SIG's that I've tried it in.

WST can be a tad smokey with cast bullets, but it is inexpensive and shoots quite accurately in various guns.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok i have press dies federal primers brass J&K cast bullets a pound of Titegroup and a pound of WST. Resized and decapped 900 pieces of brass tonight. Messed with the expander die. I think I have that right. Now ready to prime , charge and seat the bullets. I have the Hornady, Nosler and Lyman manuals in looking for charge data for a cast lead bullet. No luck with what I have. I am still looking for charge data and seating depth. I also have to look at the crimp as well. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom