XD9 4 inch or 5 inch for IDPA ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either is legal for IDPA. The majority, but not all, people prefer a 5" barrel.
Whichever you have, bring it.

If you haven't bought a gun yet, you might want to know that a quirk in the IDPA rules puts the XD in Enhanced Service Pistol Division. The Glocks and S&W M&Ps are among the popular pistols in Stock Service Pistol Division.

http://www.idpa.com/

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One inch less in barrell length isn't going to make enough difference in an IDPA match. Go with the 5" so you'll have more accuracy, which is more important. IMHO. Good luck to you in the competitions! Shoot em up man!

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either is legal for IDPA. The majority, but not all, people prefer a 5" barrel.
Whichever you have, bring it.

If you haven't bought a gun yet, you might want to know that a quirk in the IDPA rules puts the XD in Enhanced Service Pistol Division. The Glocks and S&W M&Ps are among the popular pistols in Stock Service Pistol Division.

http://www.idpa.com/

This. Also, if you haven't bought the gun, consider getting an XDm instead. The XD will do the trick, but the XDm has at least one fundemental design improvement that makes a big difference in competition shooting.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies. I already have both a 4 inch and a 5 inch XD so I will plan on using the 5 inch to try out IDPA. If I enjoy it and get used to the shooting routine I might bring my Kimber Target 9 1911 to be more accurate. Being a senior citizen, the gun I carry and shoot the best is an HK P7 but I am told due to the butt magazine release I can't use it in IDPA.

Thanks again for all the pointers,
ARG

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies. I already have both a 4 inch and a 5 inch XD so I will plan on using the 5 inch to try out IDPA. If I enjoy it and get used to the shooting routine I might bring my Kimber Target 9 1911 to be more accurate. Being a senior citizen, the gun I carry and shoot the best is an HK P7 but I am told due to the butt magazine release I can't use it in IDPA.

Thanks again for all the pointers,
ARG

You can certainly use a PSP in IDPA, it will just have a slower reload due to the heel catch mag release.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the P7 info. I now have another choice to use. I am not after trophy's, just want real world practice, have fun and make some new friends.
This will be all new to me. All I have shot previously is paper targets at a range.

Thanks again,
ARG

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
which is?

The mag release. The original XD is designed in such a way that it's almost like springfield was trying to make it hard to press the release. The frame has a little shelf surrounding the buttom that you have to reach around to actually force it down. It doesn't matter at all with the extended button, but on the XDm, they actually cut a channel into that little shelf so you can reach the button.

Latest posts

Top Bottom