XD9 4 inch or 5 inch for IDPA ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either is legal for IDPA. The majority, but not all, people prefer a 5" barrel.
Whichever you have, bring it.

If you haven't bought a gun yet, you might want to know that a quirk in the IDPA rules puts the XD in Enhanced Service Pistol Division. The Glocks and S&W M&Ps are among the popular pistols in Stock Service Pistol Division.

http://www.idpa.com/

Few questions not to hijack but am curious.

The 9mm xd being in ESP will need to meet the power floor of 165000?

I reload my target ammo and carry an xd 40 SC. I have a feeling i will need to rework my load to meet the power floor. Where can i chrono to see where i am at?

What makes the xd fall into that category?

Are their paddle holsters and mag holders legal for local competition?

A friend of mine is interested in shooting as well but he has a Regent 45. I assume he will be competing in the same class?

ruleyoutoo1911

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

The 9mm xd being in ESP will need to meet the power floor of 165000?

I reload my target ammo and carry an xd 40 SC. I have a feeling i will need to rework my load to meet the power floor. Where can i chrono to see where i am at?

Are their paddle holsters and mag holders legal for local competition?

A friend of mine is interested in shooting as well but he has a Regent 45. I assume he will be competing in the same class?

The power floor for ESP is 125000, not 165000 so you most likely will not have to rework your 9mm loads to meet that. And yes the Springfield holsters and mag carriers are fine to use.

Your friend with the Regent 45 will be competing in CDP, which has the 165000 power floor.

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

IDPA's rule making body basically says the XD has a single action trigger, something about it not retracting the striker enough before release to be legal for SSP.

It puts the XD in a division where IMO it really has a hard time competing with the other guns (lets not start a discussion about equipment vs. skill here, we all know Rob Leatham will beat most comers with an XD). Custom built XX11's with single action triggers and magwells are hardly an equitable comparison. But maybe that's just me.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The power floor for ESP is 125000, not 165000 so you most likely will not have to rework your 9mm loads to meet that. And yes the Springfield holsters and mag carriers are fine to use.

Your friend with the Regent 45 will be competing in CDP, which has the 165000 power floor.

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

Ahh thank you for the info. I must have just misread on the power floor.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IDPA's rule making body basically says the XD has a single action trigger, something about it not retracting the striker enough before release to be legal for SSP.

It puts the XD in a division where IMO it really has a hard time competing with the other guns (lets not start a discussion about equipment vs. skill here, we all know Rob Leatham will beat most comers with an XD). Custom built XX11's with single action triggers and magwells are hardly an equitable comparison. But maybe that's just me.

Something about the ruling i dont get. But it is what it is. Thank you for the information. Seems i am going to be at a competitive disadvantage carrying an xd, it being 40cal and it being a sub compact. Ugh 3x. But i want to compete for me.....to improve my skill. So as long as i keep bettering myself it will be great experience!

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Something about the ruling i dont get. But it is what it is. Thank you for the information. Seems i am going to be at a competitive disadvantage carrying an xd, it being 40cal and it being a sub compact. Ugh 3x. But i want to compete for me.....to improve my skill. So as long as i keep bettering myself it will be great experience!

If it's your first match or two just get out there and try it, you'll have fun and get to work your carry/nightstand gun under pressure.

Don't get bogged down in equipment appropriateness until you're hooked and ready to get serious.

ruleyoutoo1911

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

That is a great attitude to have, it is a good way to test out your carry gun and find out what will and wont work for you. Sometimes I do that myself, break out my Commander and give that a run for a match. I can totally respect anyone who wants to shoot what they will actually carry on the street.

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's your first match or two just get out there and try it, you'll have fun and get to work your carry/nightstand gun under pressure.

Don't get bogged down in equipment appropriateness until you're hooked and ready to get serious.

+1. Come out and try it. You'll have fun no matter what you shoot. If you want to get new equipment after a few matches, you'll know more about what you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom