xds not as good as glocks and m&ps??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cant beat the Glocks for dead nuts simplicity. Ease of use and design. Ergonomics suck though...

XD's are more complicated to take completely down and I would advise against it unless you are an armorer. Ergo's are great and system is just as simple to operate.

Accuracy is even. Reliabilty is even, XD looks better imo. Capacity in the 40 is low on XD 13 to Glocks 16 but it is a smaller frame too.

My nod is for the XD on its comfort and my ability to shoot it without feeling like I have to fight with it like the Glock makes me feel.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned and shot examples of all three makes. What the others have said about the Glock's simplicity of take-down is true, as well as the sucky ergonomics, in my hand. I wasn't too thrilled with the high bore axis of the XD, which is why I love the M&P - the bore axis is down low! Very much like a 1911. The M&P's ergonomics are much to my liking. I'd slot the XD in between it and the Glock in terms of shooting ease and accuracy. Again, this is in MY hands - YMMV.

Given a choice? I'd take the M&P first, XD second, and the Glock third.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love glocks and M&P's. The XD grips are nice, but don't care for how bulky and heavy they are. Hate the high bore axis.

Now this is just based on my personal experiences and YMMV, but I've seen more XD's fail to feed than glocks and m&p's. They run fine in a controlled environment at the range. Out of the range, XD's seem to stovepipe or be jam-o-matics more than others.

It's actually a running joke because someone with an XD will shoot with us and dismiss our claims of XD's having problems and sure enough, that person's XD will start having issues even though it has been running 100% up until then hehe.

I have a love/hate with the grips of the M&P. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I absolutely hate it. I prefer their fullsized pistols. Their compacts are really uncomfortable to me.

M&P's run fine except I've seen 2 issues that are minor. Some .40 M&P's will choke on blazer ammo and fail to feed. It's usually with the .40 compact version. Also, I've seen M&P have problems with bullets tumbling. Again I've only see this happen on the small .40 compacts. My friend's gun has this problem shooting Federal Hydrashocks out of his compact. Even at just 10 feet away, you can see where his bullets are slapping the paper sideways and creating oblong tears in the paper instead of round circular clean holes.

With glocks, I've seen a rare stove pipe or two, but otherwise they eat any jacketed ammo and keep on trucking. Not a fan of the compensated barelled versions. They seem to make the gun run dirtier and hotter and just a pain overall to clean and to deal with after 200 rounds. I hate full sized glock pistols. The grips are just too much and the hump down that low in the grip is borderline asinine. I do love the compacts and the hump isn't so bad. I actually prefer the grip of a compact glock with a hogue grip over the grip of an m&p and XD.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How would you guys rate the xd and xdm handguns? Would you put them in the same group as glock and m&ps? I guess i'm asking for opinions on the xds dependability and durability under hard use.

None of those three are any better than the other. There are just slight differences.

They are equally reliable and accurate. The XD is every bit as durable as the Glock. It even has an infamous torture test, like the Glock:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

I have no qualms about the M&P or Glock except to say I prefer the XD due to it's trigger, grip safety, and front cocking serrations. Of course, all of those may be valid reasons people would prefer a different gun OVER the XD.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocks & M&Ps are easier and less expensive ti the mod the trigger on. XD has a higer bore axis resulting in more felt recoil. All 3 are dishwasher safe and all 3 perform equally well. Go with the one that feels right in your hand.

It seems that XD and Glocks are less expensive than M&P & XDm. The difference in XDm & XD is the "m" is a match grade barrel, not of much importance for must of us.

Go with the one that feels right in your hand.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with a Gen 4 G17 Glock. Lots of G17's are shot in IDPA. Very reliable, low-recoiling pistol.

Lots of aftermarket stuff for Glocks. Sights, holsters, trigger stuff, spare parts, springs. Easy to work on, and I am in the process of doing THIS for my carry gun:

Trijicon RMR and co-witnessed iron sights:

awww.onesourcetactical.com_images_products_detail_Package31.jpg

This is the platform for this awesome mod!

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I now have all three XDM , Glock 19 3rd gen, and S&W M&P pro all in 9mm. I would place them in this order XDM, M&P, & GLOCK. I have almost 3K rounds through my XDM I have yet to have a FTF or JAM. I have put about 500 rounds through both my Glock & M&P and have yet to have an issue with either one of them either. To be honest its best to go shoot all three and make a decision for your self. I used to shoot every weekend but havent had a chance to shoot in a while. I'll tell you what i will bring the guns if you bring the ammo.

Reaction score
Absolutely, an XD is a high-quality weapon - been around for years and now quite proven. More 'proven' than the M&P, arguably, since it's been around longer. Y'all know my opinion on Gaston's guns - decent but way overpriced for what you get / not in the same category as the other two mentioned.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an XD9 Subcompact, a Glock 27 with the 9mm conversion barrel and an XD .45acp (haven't got to shoot it yet).

I love my Glock for CC. I will have to say I do shoot the XD9 better than my Glock with the factory .40 barrel. However the few times I have had a chance to shoot the Glock with Lone Wolf 9mm barrel it has proven to be a tack driver, so I'm undecided as to which is more accurate.

I really like the feel of the XD .45 and if my instincts are correct it could be my new "favorite" gun.

Quality wise I feel they are about equal.

You can't go wrong either way. Go to one of the gun shops with an indoor range where you can rent both and try them out before you buy.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, something about the XD makes me wanna puke, but I have no functional reason for that. Just cosmetic.

I have a Glock 19 now, and at some point I'd like to own an M&P9 to compare with, but I have zero desire to own an XD.

Latest posts

Top Bottom