XDS vs P938

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a 9mm subcompact carry gun. I dont currently carry everyday, but I plan to start. I went to a some local stores this week to get my hands on a few of the options. I was mostly considering the Shield, G26, XDsc and XDS and I thought I had decided on the XDS. I like its size and the fell of it in my hand. It gets good reviews (as far as I know) and I've been very happy with my 4.5" XDm.

But then I picked up the Sig P938 and I really like its size, weight and feel. I also like the options of using the flush or +1 magazine. I have a RIA 1911 and I'd have to say its my favorite handgun, that I own. So, I am familiar with both striker fire and 1911 handguns.

The Sig is a little out of my price range right now but I can save a bit longer if I decide to go that route. Also, I do like to practice a bit at the range, so I want something that won't be a pain to shoot at length. That was my biggest complaint about the Kel-Tec PF9 that I had for a while. I have a decent supply of 9mm ammo and don't want to add another caliber to my collection.

So, I was wondering what your experiences have been with either or both of these guns. Are there any areas where one excels over the other? What are the pros and cons of carrying a striker fired vs 1911 style pistol? Is a 1911 style pistol a bad option as a first time carry piece?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't had my 938 long enough to have a complete review. However, I have no complaints so far. If you get to the western half of the state, I will let you run a box through mine.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only knock I've heard of regarding the XDS is weight; otherwise, it seems to be gaining a great reputation.

I own a P938 Nightmare, which replaced my P238 Equinox. The only reason I sold the P238 was to get out of .380. Just like it's little brother, the P938 is one of the softest shooting sub-compacts I've ever shot in it's caliber. The 7 round magazine allows for a full grip, and I have pretty big hands. After hundreds of rounds, the only problem has been a failure to feed due to a bad piece of brass. I carry it everywhere--even around the house--in an OWB holster from UBG, and I forget that it's even there.

Based on my experience I'd recommend going with the Sig, especially since you're already familiar with the 1911 manual of arms. Here lately I've been seeing them on Slickguns for under $600, which puts them within $100-150 of the XDS. Might be worth calling 2A in Tulsa to see if they rent these models, so you can see which one fits you best.

SpiritualGuns

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you love your .45 1911, why not look at the XDS .45? The size it the exact same as the 9. I got the .45 and my wife liked it so much, she decided to get the 9. We love both of ours. either one handles recoil very nicely. I tend to use the extended mag, since I have bigger hands, but even without the extension, it fits very nice in the hand. The only complaint I have with mine is every time I go to unload it to clean it, the shell seems to get stuck when I first pull it back. There are no problems when I shoot it though, I believe I just don't pull it back hard enough when I unload it.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the Sig P938 for about 3 months. I love shooting it. I bought three of the 7 round extended mags for it. The extended mags make it fit my hand much better. It's very easy to conceal. After I got mine, my dad, brother, and two co-workers went out and bought one because they were impressed with mine. They all love their 938s too.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought three of the 7 round extended mags for it.

That's a decent expense. Where's a good place to buy them?

So, it looks like either of these can be found on Gun Broker for $100-$150 less than in local stores. I'd like to buy local, but that a considerable savings. Any issues with buying on GB?

Latest posts

Top Bottom