XS Big Dot and similar sights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody use these sights, or any other 2-dot "figure 8" style sights?

They're news to me...and intriguing. All my pistols have the traditional 3 dot but the Hi Power people seem to suggest/prefer these 2-dot stacked config.

Looking for feedback...I know certain mods become the "cool thing" to do in certain crowds even if they're not the best.

This will be for my Hi Power. Its not a target gun but I'd like to hit 8" plates at 15 yards and eventually carry this one.

https://www.xssights.com/Handgun_Sights_pr-8208.aspx

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I once took in trade a compact 9mm that had the XS big dot. I put the target about 7 yards out and I would work on putting that big dot on center mass as quick as possible - putting in two quick rounds. It was fantastic for that purpose as it felt quick to get on target. I moved the target out to about 15 -maybe 20 yards and went for accuracy. I was all over the place. The big dot covers a lot more of the target than what I was used to. Also, you line it up like you are putting a golf ball on a tee - not a bad thing, just different than what I was accustomed to. If I would have put in the effort I'm sure that I could have improved my accuracy. I just found something else that I had to have and traded it off before I could become more proficient. As far as CCW goes, I would definitely run Big Dots again.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too acquired a weapon in trade (Glock 27) with the XS regular size dot sights on it and like them a lot. Of course, I like the Kahr sights better than others too. I'm not much on 3 dot systems. I would have rather had the BIG dot front sight, but oh well. :ugh2:

But like POKE said, once you get past 15 yards or so, accuracy dips a little bit. They are definitely a combat sight.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I echo Poke's comments; having used a Big Dot sight on a S&W 325 Night Guard with grooved rear sight (no dots), it's definitely a close-range sight. Works well for fast acquisition and COM shooting, but not so much for precision shooting further out.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I much prefer a plain black rear sight, and a shot of black paint took care of the distracting white "figure 8" on a Sig. Same for the white dots on the rear sight of a S&W. I spend too much time looking at the rear sight already to want anything more on it to distract me.
For fast acquisition up close and still have accuracy further out, I do far better with a bright FO front sight. I tried another's "Big Dot" and the Dot was too BIG for anything past point-shooting distance, for me.
I shot an IDPA classifier with a new Shield, and am going to order a Dawson Precision FO front sight for it.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate them. "Up close and personal" you don't need sights at all. You need sights for 10 yards and beyond. I want to be able to shoot the bad guy in the eye socket at 15 yards, and big dot express sights don't work well for that.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a fan at all. Except on a Ruger LCR, that one I liked. They are crap for targets past 7 yards and who even needs sights from 7 on in? Utterly useless IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom