Yardage simulated targets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any one practice on these? I'm wanting to get better at shooting 500 yds, but places to shoot that far arnt very common. I've done enough to know at 500 most targets are small enough that even if the gun is on you can miss, so I am wondering how much improvement you can see shooting at small targets(about the size something would appear at various distances)?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not real sure about this but, it seems to me that a 5" circle at 500 yards would be the same as a 1" circle at 100 yards. Only at the actual 500 yards wind plays a much bigger role in hitting the target.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate 'em...the trajectory isn't the same so you can never really simulate shooting at a longer range (unless of course you limit yourself to the crossover point). I shot them for years in the Air Force, then the first time I had to shoot on an Army pop up range I was sending rounds high on the mid range targets.

I finally got my head screwed on right and nailed the course but from my personal experience and IMHO, simulated range targets can build bad habits.

I'd focus on fundamentals and study your dope until you can get time on a longer range.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not real sure about this but, it seems to me that a 5" circle at 500 yards would be the same as a 1" circle at 100 yards. Only at the actual 500 yards wind plays a much bigger role in hitting the target.

I shot for many years on 100 yard reduced targets for Hi Power. Targets are easily available.

It's definitely not the same as doing the real distance and the wind and mirage factors are part of it but you're also dealing with differences in how the bullet behaves as it loses more velocity over distance as well. It's still fun however and it most certainly works when there is no other option. I'd still rather shoot the actual distance, but reduced targets are a legitimate and viable way to get more trigger time and full course of fire on a short range.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll probably give them a try, I've done enough to know that it wont be near the same, but atleast it will be good for controlling my breathing and trigger control. Either way it will be better than sitting home wishing I had somewhere to shoot.

So is the circle idea right? A 1" circle at 100 will be the same as a 5" circle at 500?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much. 1" at 100yards = 6" at 600yards, etc...

The official NRA Hi Power reduced targets are just a bit smaller proportionally in order to compensate for less wind, etc as you would encounter at the longer range.

For example, the 600 yard full size target aiming black is 36 inches and on the 100 reduced target it's 5.75 inches. If it were just sized according to distance only, it would be 1/6 of the full size or 6 inches. The same holds true with the scoring rings as well.

The exact dimensions on all of it can be found in the rule book located here:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-w04.pdf

This is a good place to buy targets online:
http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/highpower/

This guy has some you can print for free on sheet paper:
http://ray-vin.com/frtech.htm

H

hboatman

Just because you have a small target at 100 yards it doesn't mean you can hit at 500. The size of the target isn't the issue because at 500 yards your round will have considerably more drop. To be accurate at 500 yards, you need to sight in at 500 yards unless you can find a range that has a simulation.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
they give you a close sight picture, but don't help you with learning how to adjust your sights.
kind of worthless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom