Year round CCW weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a Walther PPS in 9mm (for summer carry) and really like it. My daily (winter carry) is a Sig P226 (E2)....my favorite carry gun, but not necessarily small enough for summer carry. Personally, I don't love handguns in 40. Sold all my 40's......just don't shoot them as well as 9mm's and .45's.

Reaction score
Depends almost entirely on carry method. You willing to wear covering garments in the summer, thick enough to keep from printing on an IWB rig? If not, then something small & thin enough for Smartcarry or pocket carry. Kahr PM40 comes to mind here.

If you're willing to wear a thickish shirt to pull over an IWB, then the sky is the limit - take your pick of pretty much any. But as you know, it gets very very hot in the summer, and a t-shirt pulled over still 'prints you'. If you live in the country where people are more laid back and you're not gonna encounter a city anti-gun cop who will harass you for printing, then a bit of printing is not a big deal.

Having said that, also depends on your body type. I've seen situations where skinny guys with largish chests have enough space in the small of the back where an IWB won't print, even with just a T-shirt. Depends on holster design too.

What kind of trigger/safety system you wanting? C&L, true DAO, pre-sprung DAO, or crunchenticker?

Bacardi

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like anything else, it's going to be a compromise between several different factors. I went the Taurus PT 740 with SS slide, was $334 out the door. Small and thin, if I put it in my jean pocket, it's hard to notice the print. It's a .40 only holds 6+1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom