Yellowstone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could drive for months across WY and MT and not find another operation like that, definitely not the norm.

Years ago there was a series on maybe OETA or Discovery, I can't remember, but I think it was called "The Last of the American Cowboys or the Last of the Great American Cowboys". It followed 3 or 4 different large ranches in both Montana and Wyoming. I think the smallest ranch was about 25,000 ac and the largest was I believe well over 100,000 ac (I can't recall exactly). The large ranch which was in Montana bucked its hay just like in the video I posted. They also baled some of their hay but it depended on the pasture they were working.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to know why you never see the wranglers operating a hay swather or bucking hay? It does snow a little in Montana. Maybe their too busy looking at $100,000 cutting horses. Maybe they should show how busy it is during calving season and gathering up calves and dry cows to sell which is how the ranch makes money to pay for the operating cost and taxes.
That has to be assumed.
It doesnt make for an excited audience.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is one way the large ranches in Wyoming and Montana buck hay

Exactly how they do it on the Triangle Ranch in NE. I spent time there back in 1982 when my older brother worked at the ranch and I got to participate as a young man. Quite educational. They use no tractors, only Draft horse teams. Tractors get stuck in the sandy valley. Very kool seeing how they can drag that entire stack onto a sled type trailer that sits inches off the ground and only using a horse team and long chain.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago there was a series on maybe OETA or Discovery, I can't remember, but I think it was called "The Last of the American Cowboys or the Last of the Great American Cowboys". It followed 3 or 4 different large ranches in both Montana and Wyoming. I think the smallest ranch was about 25,000 ac and the largest was I believe well over 100,000 ac (I can't recall exactly). The large ranch which was in Montana bucked its hay just like in the video I posted. They also baled some of their hay but it depended on the pasture they were working.
There was a documentary on the Triangle Ranch on one of those channels back in the late 80s or early 90s. My brother was working there when they filmed it and he thought he was a big TV star LOL

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That has to be assumed.
It doesnt make for an excited audience.

And watching cutting horses in an arena is exciting? Maybe showing John Dutton teaching his grandson how hard work built the ranch but I guess Hollywood has a problem showing kids doing manual labor on a family farm/ranch. Clay, you and I both know farm life starts early for kids. The first tractor I drove was a model 60 John Deere. I couldn't sit and reach the clutch/brakes. I had to stand to drive it. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. My dad could remember driving a team of horses with a harrow when he was 6 years old.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And watching cutting horses in an arena is exciting? Maybe showing John Dutton teaching his grandson how hard work built the ranch but I guess Hollywood has a problem showing kids doing manual labor on a family farm/ranch. Clay, you and I both know farm life starts early for kids. The first tractor I drove was a model 60 John Deere. I couldn't sit and reach the clutch/brakes. I had to stand to drive it. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. My dad could remember driving a team of horses with a harrow when he was 6 years old.
No the cutting horses was kool for 1 minute lol. The rodeo scenes I found more entertaining but all those together didnt account for more than 30 min. of the 30 hours of Yellowstone lol.
I wasnt raised on a farm at all so I didnt set my butt in a tractor seat till I bought land in Tuttle and had a need for a tractor. I hope I dont ever set in a tractor seat again either unless its got a cab with AC. LOL
Another thing they never show is the wranglers gathering for a big breakfast in the morning. They just rolll out of the bunk and go to work LOL
That was one thing I remember about the Triangle, they had a dedicated cook lady that made one heck of a breakfast spread every day ready to eat by 6:00am

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My wife and some of her cohorts are fantasized with Rip in his wranglers. Lol
Along with your thoughts, I think the carnage of old west justice is gonna start stacking bodies.
I liked it when the barrel racer said she looked good walking away. My 2nd ex was like that. Those Wranglers fit really good on her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom