Yep, another 1911 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a Colt 1911 that was mfg in 1913. I would rather not shoot it so I was looking at getting a Taurus 1911. I have read good things about them. I have owned several Taurus handguns and have had no problems. Just wandering your experience with them....I would prefer not to hear your opinion on Taurus itself, just your experience with this particular firearm.......I know there are a lot of Taurus haters, but I'm not in the market for a $1000 pistol, and if I were, I would buy a Colt....

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just shoot the Colt! No since having a fine handgun and not getting to enjoy it. The joy you get from shooting it far out weighs any value it will decrease. And unless it has never been shot it won't hurt the value at all.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind with the Taurus it has a goofy hammer lock which has turned several into a single shot. I'm not about to pay $5-600 for a 1911 with cheap parts AND a lawyer lock and yes I've seen parts fall off of one.

I'd look at a RIA Tactical, STI Spartan or Springer Mil-spec.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind with the Taurus it has a goofy hammer lock which has turned several into a single shot. I'm not about to pay $5-600 for a 1911 with cheap parts AND a lawyer lock and yes I've seen parts fall off of one.

I'd look at a RIA Tactical, STI Spartan or Springer Mil-spec.

+1, do not buy the Taurus. It is cheap for reason.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot the Colt, but it was probably 10-12 years ago. The Colt was my dads and he gave it to me last year. It is the most BEAUTIFUL handgun EVER. I wish it could tell stories....By the way, it shot flawlessly! Thanks for the quick replies OSA peeps....:thanku:......I appreciate it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't say anything about the RIA but I do own a PT 1911 and a Springfield GI. The Taurus has been flawless and is very accurate and comfortable to shoot. I have completely disassembled it and put all the parts from my old colt back in it just to see if they fit and they did,but i did not shoot it that way. I like the Springfield also but it just isn't as comfortable to shoot.if I spent a bunch of money to upgrade the beavertail and the trigger and such then the Springer would be the same as the PT1911. just my opinion hope it helps

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have shot the Colt, but it was probably 10-12 years ago. The Colt was my dads and he gave it to me last year. It is the most BEAUTIFUL handgun EVER. I wish it could tell stories....By the way, it shot flawlessly! Thanks for the quick replies OSA peeps....:thanku:......I appreciate it.

Its a Colt, and its not in its craft-box in un-issued condition, so shooting her isn't going to decrease value that much, besides its an heirloom to you from your father, shoot her, and enjoy her for what she is. Even though she's almost 100yrs old, she's still going to function with 230gr ball ammo.

reich10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
from my experience handling them where i work, they are very low quality. loosely put together. you can get a springfield or STI spartan for the same price and there is no comparison in quality. like twss said, they are cheap for a reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom