Yes, another 5.56 vs. 300 BLK question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was only shooting to 100y, I would consider a pistol and shockwave blade over a 16" rifle.

Of course, I wouldn't want to use either indoors unsupressed.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking into the 300 BLK cartridge for my next AR pistol build, but given the following conditions:

1) I will not be shooting suppressed, unless the HPA bill is made into law (I give this a 20% chance, so not expecting it)
2) I will not be hunting with it
3) Most / all my shooting will be within 100 yards. Mostly within 25 yards.
4) I will not be making an SBR out of it
5) Most of my shooting will be plinking at the range. If need be, and the pistol proves to be accurate and reliable, I may make it into a HD weapon.
6) I will not be reloading

Given all these conditions, is there any practical reason to go with 300 BLK instead of 5.56? "Just because" is not what I would consider a practical reason.

For what you describe I'll be darned if I wouldn't be seriously looking at building a 9mm AR pistol.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got two ;) I was thinking along the lines of a rifle caliber setup.
Cool, didn't know that. I went through a couple of variations on the AR Pistol theme in 5.56 ...

A1_Pistol.png

ARPistol.png

... but it just wasn't as much fun to fiddle with as I thought it was going to be and since I really had no practical use for it I sold it. I ended up building the suppressed .300 BLK SBR (probably the one mightymouse was referring to in his earlier post) instead.

20170812_190403 copy.png

I know you're not thinking about NFA but for comparison this one easily and consistently rings the gong at 200 with 125gr supersonics as well as with 220gr subsonics using a bit of holdover. Will be reloading for it as soon as I decide on the boolits I want to use, already have the saw and case trimming jig to convert 5.56 brass.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sanford, my distaste for the AR platform is well known, but that is one sweet SBR you have there! And, yes, that is the rifle I referred to in my earlier post. My .22s are loud compared to that one with sub-sonics and the suppressor.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only criteria you have here that would fit is, to me, the most important. Which is that you "May" turn it into your HD gun.
Didn't have the time to read comments, but I'm sure someone mentioned the fact that 300BLK will out of a pistol length barrel will hit quit a bit harder than 5.56 from the same length. My first pistol build was an 8.2" Noveske barrel, and that thing performed like a dream, and stayed at around 1 MOA. It was designed (literally) to perform in a shorter barrel, and that was for a reason, 5.56 (on paper) is just not a big fan of sub 12" barrels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom