YES or NO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This would never happen but just for fun who would be ok with Oklahoma not have a buck season for 3 years. Just for the next 3 years shoot 1 or 2 doe each year depending on county. I am 60 so I would miss a lot of hunting them I would never get back. But I still would be on board with it. So yes or no

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As far as I know, I don't have any neighbors who are shooting little bucks. So I don't really think I'd benefit from it..........if I had to hunt only public lands, I'd say that I would absolutely be in favor of it, especially if I were trying to hunt quality deer.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not in favor.

No reason for it. Yes it will help more bucks reach maturity, that still doesn't mean a property will be night and day better in 3 years. Mature bucks find places they feel secure and comfortable and that is just how it is. (Except in rut, they will do all kinds of stupid ****.)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the MO. laws regarding buck harvest.

I could care less if I kill a buck I hunt meat. Few times during deer season I have taken armadillo back to camp to eat that.

I would be fine with a 2 year wait for buck harvest. You would easily weed out the poachers like that.. Get caught with an antlered deer during a time like that.

You would know it was not legal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, period.
As the older hunters mentor the new young hunters, the age class of bucks being shot has really increased in recent years. I've seen it time after time on this very forum that folks have said their young hunters passed on small bucks because their parents taught them that passing on small bucks will produce big bucks down the road.

I'd rather see education take the place of regulation, and it appears to be happening.

Having a state with monster bucks doesn't always come from passing on smaller bucks. Genetics and habitat is what determines the size of a bucks antlers.
We have places in Ok where a deer at full maturity will NEVER exceed 130 B&C points for the rack.

We have others where bucks will reach close to that 130 and more in their second year, and be real brutes by their 4th.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom