YES or NO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess I am surprised everyone is saying no. Everybody has good points. I like the idea of 1 buck limit (but I don't think we will ever see that because of a money issue with the state). Dennis is correct that we wouldn't have a bunch of monster bucks running around as he stated just because a buck is mature doesn't mean he is going to be a giant buck. He is also correct on that there is a lot more people that let little bucks pass then ever before. Thank everybody for their response was just being curious how people felt about it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want a regulation made because of a bunch of hunters want it. I would rather regulation be made because of sound management practices and herd health, not a knee jerk reaction of some bandwagon hunters.

What is the long term of the 3 year no buck season? 3 years after that, close it again? Mother Nature has a way of balancing the herd naturally. If we go from zero buck harvest to record setting numbers of buck harvest it is going the have drastic swings in the buck/doe ratios. Again and again if the size of bucks doesn't appease the vocal trophy hunters?

Some of the vocal groups for regulation changes makes about as much sense as an accountant coming out to an oil/gas location and supervising a frac from start to completion. Does that make more sense to you Deer 24/7? I mean he saw a few Youtube instructional videos, and regularly gases up his Lexus, so he is familiar with the process.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No....Our state's deer management strategy isn't to just produce mature bucks. Increasing average age class of bucks harvested is one of the goals. however keeping up with the population growth of the herd is also a factor. A season without the legal buck harvest would cut the harvest totals roughly by half. Most of us believe that harvesting more does is a superior herd management strategy, but would the hunters shoot the same amount of deer by just taking does? Most likely not. My opinion is that a substantial drop in the overall harvest numbers would impact our state in a negative way such as vehicle collisions and agricultural losses. In a perfect world where the hunters picked up the slack by doubling the doe harvest this should in turn make the buck:doe ratios shift and create better breeding competition which would make the rut hunts better, it would allow a lot of deer to grow older and with age being the number one limiting factor in growing bigger antlers this would be great. However I feel the state is doing a better job of promoting letting young bucks grow as is the whole country is seeing the major shift in hunters mentality about harvesting bucks.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ob are you saying I am the accountant ? Lol. I understand what your saying and do agree. I am just saying it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we had no buck season for three years. I would go to some other state to hunt. What you said about mature bucks is very true once they get to be 5 1/2 they turn into a different buck. That being said all the 2 1/2 year old bucks now would be 5 1/2 in three years (There is that accountant degree coming in handy) those older class bucks would be harder to harvest so when it open up after three years I don't think they would wipe out the older bucks that easy. Jarded brought up a good point they would be a lot hunters that wouldn't hunt if they couldn't take a buck and without them taking a doe that would mess things up. And what I am saying doesn't make me right. I just think it would be interesting now the one buck limit I have been preacher this for years but hey not everbody is a trophy hunter and I must be a lousy one because I can't seem to kill one

Latest posts

Top Bottom