YES or NO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ob are you saying I am the accountant ? Lol. I understand what your saying and do agree. I am just saying it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we had no buck season for three years. I would go to some other state to hunt. What you said about mature bucks is very true once they get to be 5 1/2 they turn into a different buck. That being said all the 2 1/2 year old bucks now would be 5 1/2 in three years (There is that accountant degree coming in handy) those older class bucks would be harder to harvest so when it open up after three years I don't think they would wipe out the older bucks that easy. Jarded brought up a good point they would be a lot hunters that wouldn't hunt if they couldn't take a buck and without them taking a doe that would mess things up. And what I am saying doesn't make me right. I just think it would be interesting now the one buck limit I have been preacher this for years but hey not everbody is a trophy hunter and I must be a lousy one because I can't seem to kill one

SMH. I didn't say the mature bucks would be wiped out after the 3 year no buck season. I said the major swings up and down of buck harvest would throw off the natural balance. Go back to work and let the wildlife biologists handle what they do and you do your thing.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am for all practical purposes a trophy hunter and have been "managing" the same small piece of land for 12 years, and I can attest to the fact that every buck doesn't have the genetic makeup to be a "trophy" animal no matter how old he is. This is the first year I've ever killed two bucks in OK, and the two bucks I killed tend to prove my point about genetic potential.

Both my bucks were over 6 and weighed over 250 lbs, but one had a 186" rack and the other 125". I can also factor my son's 160 class buck into the equation. I've had all three of these bucks on game camera for at least 3 years, and as far as I know, they were all born and raised in the general vicinity of my property thus having the same food sources. So why would two of them be what I consider a "trophy class" animals and one not? All I can come up with is genetics.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want bucks to reach maturity get gunpowder out of the rut. No I wouldn't be in favor of it. I would like to see parts of the state go to a one buck harvest. But based on my observations at least in my area doe harvests should be increased. If you really want to increase maturity go to a draw system like iowa Kansas etc. move the antlerless only hunts up into October pre rut and move rifle season buck only to mid December. We don't have the statewide agriculture or genetics to grow monsters (state dosent mange for them either) I'm primarily a gun hunter so these changes would dramatically Impact me. Furthermore raise the non resident license fee.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want bucks to reach maturity get gunpowder out of the rut. No I wouldn't be in favor of it. I would like to see parts of the state go to a one buck harvest. But based on my observations at least in my area doe harvests should be increased. If you really want to increase maturity go to a draw system like iowa Kansas etc. move the antlerless only hunts up into October pre rut and move rifle season buck only to mid December. We don't have the statewide agriculture or genetics to grow monsters (state dosent mange for them either) I'm primarily a gun hunter so these changes would dramatically Impact me. Furthermore raise the non resident license fee.

I almost completely agree...this management strategy has seemed to be effective in mid-western states, Although I believe it is highly unlikely that OK would ever go to such. Our state is very high on sportsman opportunity and a strategy such as the aforementioned would likely be result in a fear of loss of opportunity to the sportsman. OK is in a new age of trophy deer harvest, we've seen lots more "monster" bucks being harvested than what we are accustomed to (social media may be responsible in part) but mostly I think credit belongs to education of the hunter about letting young deer walk. I think that if a deer season that mimics the above was in place your thoughts of the state not having the agriculture or genetics to grow those monsters might change a little. It is a fact that genetics and nutrition are of importance in growing large antlers, however AGE is still the number one limiting factor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kansas starts their gun season at the end of our first 9 day gun season. Public grounds in the northern part of Ok like Kaw lake are covered up with vehicles wearing Kansas license plates during our gun season, then they go back home for their season.
I know this year New Mexico raised the price for nonresident hunters by adding a "game license".

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colorado costs 440 dollars for a non resident. Texas is 315 in contrast ours is 142 dollars. I pay a lot of money in out of state tag fees just to apply. (My choice I want to pursue different species) but Kansas cost 442 bucks. I get creating opportunity but since Oklahomas deer tags are so cheap we see an influx of out of state hunters who otherwise might only hunt in their home state. (Or other western states with better access to public land).

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A nonresident license to hunt deer (gun) in Oklahoma costs $280, a nonresident license is $142 but it's not good for any of the big game animals. Maybe $280 is still too cheap but my brother who comes every year for gun season doesn't think so, lol, this is the only state he hunts and he only hunts my private ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom