YES or NO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A nonresident license to hunt deer (gun) in Oklahoma costs $280, a nonresident license is $142 but it's not good for any of the big game animals. Maybe $280 is still too cheap but my brother who comes every year for gun season doesn't think so, lol, this is the only state he hunts and he only hunts my private ground.

This year, I bought a NR hunting (fiscal year) for $176, a $10 fall turkey tag, a $10 waterfowl tag, and a $280 archery license for a total of $479 (including the $3 convenience fee for buying online).

IF I had wanted to hunt muzzleloader season too, that would've been another $283, and if I had wanted to hunt rifle season, it would've been yet another $283. In total, I could have spent $1045 to hunt ON MY OWN PLACE.

In contrast, an OK resident can come to Texas and hunt everything except turkey for $315 (that's archery and rifle deer season and all game birds and small game).

I'm not complaining. Just saying.....

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This year, I bought a NR hunting (fiscal year) for $176, a $10 fall turkey tag, a $10 waterfowl tag, and a $280 archery license for a total of $479 (including the $3 convenience fee for buying online).

IF I had wanted to hunt muzzleloader season too, that would've been another $283, and if I had wanted to hunt rifle season, it would've been yet another $283. In total, I could have spent $1045 to hunt ON MY OWN PLACE.

In contrast, an OK resident can come to Texas and hunt everything except turkey for $315 (that's archery and rifle deer season and all game birds and small game).

I'm not complaining. Just saying.....
I think if you OWN land, you should be able to purchase tags at a cheaper price. Shouldn't in any way count toward leases. That is a crazy expenditure to hunt land you own.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if you OWN land, you should be able to purchase tags at a cheaper price. Shouldn't in any way count toward leases. That is a crazy expenditure to hunt land you own.

Like I said, I'm not complaining, and I actually disagree with land owners getting any special treatment.

I can easily "justify" the license expense just to have the opportunity to see and, ever once in a while, kill a 160-180 class buck. I consider myself blessed to have the property and the hunting success I have over the last 13 years, and I see it as my duty to be the best steward of the land and wildlife I possibly can.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm not complaining, and I actually disagree with land owners getting any special treatment.

I can easily "justify" the license expense just to have the opportunity to see and, ever once in a while, kill a 160-180 class buck. I consider myself blessed to have the property and the hunting success I have over the last 13 years, and I see it as my duty to be the best steward of the land and wildlife I possibly can.

You have done well no doubt, I've seen the pictures! But I think they should at least bring back the landowner lifetime license back, just for the situation you and my brother are in....BUT I do also see the problems that might create with out of state rich people as well, no easy solution, I'm sure ODWC thinks these things through on a micro level before they issue new regs

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You have done well no doubt, I've seen the pictures! But I think they should at least bring back the landowner lifetime license back, just for the situation you and my brother are in....BUT I do also see the problems that might create with out of state rich people as well, no easy solution, I'm sure ODWC thinks these things through on a micro level before they issue new regs

They have input, but the OK legislature makes/changes, such as legal means of take. (Such as if you wanted snares to be legal in OK, you'd need to find a Senator or Rep to start a bill making them legal). ODWC commissioners make changes in limits, etc under the advisement of the biologists, etc. Jared and FFL can set me straight, but I'm pretty sure that's how that worked.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have input, but the OK legislature makes/changes, such as legal means of take. (Such as if you wanted snares to be legal in OK, you'd need to find a Senator or Rep to start a bill making them legal). ODWC commissioners make changes in limits, etc under the advisement of the biologists, etc. Jared and FFL can set me straight, but I'm pretty sure that's how that worked.

Yep, when I pointed out the legislation that allowed Xbows to be used by anyone to the supervisor of the NW counties, he had no clue it was even coming up. It was in another bill as a rider that made its way through the legislature. The ODW had no part in passing that, at least at his level.

Latest posts

Top Bottom