Yippie!!! Wife wants a gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Zombie, sorry if it sounded like I was implying that you were recommending a low quality gun. What you said just brought up some other points.

My comment on pain referred to some of the ultra light guns in larger calibers. IE, some of the lightweight .357 mags, or ~12oz 9mms, either of which could be considered painful by a new shooter. My point being that a new shooter should be started out on something that is extremely mild recoil wise. And an all steel framed .38 shooting light target loads certainly fits that. As does a .22 lr semi auto.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zombie, sorry if it sounded like I was implying that you were recommending a low quality gun. What you said just brought up some other points.

My comment on pain referred to some of the ultra light guns in larger calibers. IE, some of the lightweight .357 mags, or ~12oz 9mms, either of which could be considered painful by a new shooter. My point being that a new shooter should be started out on something that is extremely mild recoil wise. And an all steel framed .38 shooting light target loads certainly fits that. As does a .22 lr semi auto.

I thought it may have came across wrong above so I wanted to verify otherwise. I think in some things we agree - I haven't shot one of the airweights or anything too light yet...but a first time shooter should use something simple, basic, reliable at first and learn it IMO. Should they be shooting a 38 special airweight w/ +p loads? I don't think so, but what do I know? I learned on things kids my age shouldn't touch.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
And for some people, the recoil may not "bother" them. If someone really wants to get into guns, it won't stop them. What it will likely do, is start bad habits. And that's the biggest reason I know of to start on a light recoiling gun. Flinch will kill your accuracy and control of the gun, and a hard hitting gun + new shooter is a sure way to start that habit.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the H&H recommendation of trying different guns.

5-shot 38 revolvers seem to be the rage.

A Double action only semi-auto or the striker fired Kahr (sexy looks) or Glock might be the ticket.

I believe the DA/SA pistols have a longer learning curve.

My wife started with a S&W model 64 then on to a Sig 9mm

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude?! Why are you excited about this? :ugh2:

All that's gonna happen is you buying MORE ammo and getting to shoot LESS of it! Furthermore, you're gonna be too busy loading her gun for her to ever get to do any shooting of your own! :faint:

Basically...you've just invited a girl into your treehouse where girls are not allowed. Have fun with that. :slap:

J/K! :pms2:

You're a lucky guy. You really are. I've begged Mrs GED to go to the range with me, but she just won't do it. She says all of my guns kick too hard. :rolleyes2

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice. DO NOT try to teach her to shoot. Take her to H&H or wherever and have another WOMAN teach her to shoot. I've seen it time and time again. Couples getting into a big snit and a heated arguement at the range because the man is trying to teach the woman how to do something. :screwy:

Women don't learn very well from men. Especially in a man's world...like shooting. You are better off letting her learn the basics and fundamentals from a woman. Trust me on this one! :thumb:

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude?! Why are you excited about this? :ugh2:

All that's gonna happen is you buying MORE ammo and getting to shoot LESS of it! Furthermore, you're gonna be too busy loading her gun for her to ever get to do any shooting of your own! :faint:

Basically...you've just invited a girl into your treehouse where girls are not allowed. Have fun with that. :slap:

J/K! :pms2:

You're a lucky guy. You really are. I've begged Mrs GED to go to the range with me, but she just won't do it. She says all of my guns kick too hard. :rolleyes2

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice. DO NOT try to teach her to shoot. Take her to H&H or wherever and have another WOMAN teach her to shoot. I've seen it time and time again. Couples getting into a big snit and a heated arguement at the range because the man is trying to teach the woman how to do something. :screwy:

Women don't learn very well from men. Especially in a man's world...like shooting. You are better off letting her learn the basics and fundamentals from a woman. Trust me on this one! :thumb:

by that same right I should let BB teach mine more on safety and shooting?

that is almost a scary thought

Latest posts

Top Bottom