Yippie!!! Wife wants a gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are all great suggestions. I am surprised that no one mentioned this one though...

Get her a gun that you have always wanted, that fits her (but you want it too,) shoot it with her, (don't tell her you like it a bunch,) and then mention how thin she looks holding it! I am amazed how thin my wife is when holding my custom 1911 and either AR!

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
take her to h&h, they have plenty of different models try out.

check out the kahrs, glocks, xd's and m&p's. they can all be had in 9mm and they don't kick all that much.

if it's a revolver she wants, check out the ruger sp100. it's heavier than the scandium j-frames so it won't kick as hard. the lightweight j-frames have a really snappy kick to em especially if you're shooting magnums.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take to H&H or any other range that rents guns and have her shoot a buch of them, or use your firends guns. Start with the 22's and then try the 9mm's I would stay far away from the 5 shot 38's they just have to much recoil!
My wife loves her M&P9's and that is THE gun we see in class more often than not with the ladys and as a whole they have done better with that gun than any other.

what he said

merrise

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are all great suggestions. I am surprised that no one mentioned this one though...

Get her a gun that you have always wanted, that fits her (but you want it too,) shoot it with her, (don't tell her you like it a bunch,) and then mention how thin she looks holding it! I am amazed how thin my wife is when holding my custom 1911 and either AR!

Now that's some advise. I don't know if I should repect you or not trust you.

djsmithinvesting

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to teach a womens pistol self defense class, so I have a little expertise on this subject.

Everyone who said start with a .22 is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. That is if she hasnt shot much before. If she has a shooting background you can skip this step.

Lots of people tend to buy their inexperienced wives 380s and .22s and such to carry. I think that is a mistake. Although either would make an effective carry gun in the hands of an experienced user, they would not be so good with someone who is not because they are both underpowered and because of the precision needed to make a kill shot with either.

I would stay away from wheel guns of all sorts, although they are very reliable generally speaking, and most are chambered in effective rounds, they tend to have a much lower capacity than semi autos. Secondarily to effectively conceal one you end up with a small snub nose which is generally very light, which increases recoil. Also in a wheel gun all of the energy of the shot is used to propel the bullet forward and the gun backward, whereas in an autoloader some of that energy is taken up by cycling the action, so naturally auto loaders have lower recoil if in a similar caliber. I have learned that with women recoil is your biggest concern, second one is noise, buy earmuffs.

When I was teaching I always reccomended a Kahr cw-9. The reasons being that it is very light and easy to conceal, affordable, has a full length grip unlike glock 26, has an 8 round capacity, 9mm is a very effective round, especially in a +p with a high quality hollow point, and it is fairly inexpensive to shoot at the range for practice. I also like the Kahr because of its lack of a traditional safety. People who are not terribly used to guns will tend to fiddle with finding a safety and turning it on or off, but the Kahr has a similar safety to a glock, well kinda, it is just a long DA trigger, but you cant accidentally pull it. My wife is 5'2 and about 105 pounds, she carries the cw-9 and can effectively conceal it (and shoot it for that matter)

Just my opinion

djsmithinvesting

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, the H&H idea is great. It can however be cost prohibitive. They charge $8 per gun you rent and you have to buy their ammo at about double retail. Plus pay the range fee or $8 So if you want to shoot 3 calibers you can drop $75 and leave with nothing but the experience.

If you have a buddy with a bunch of guns you can get out of it with just wal mart ammo and $8 range fee.

merrise

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, the H&H idea is great. It can however be cost prohibitive. They charge $8 per gun you rent and you have to buy their ammo at about double retail. Plus pay the range fee or $8 So if you want to shoot 3 calibers you can drop $75 and leave with nothing but the experience.

If you have a buddy with a bunch of guns you can get out of it with just wal mart ammo and $8 range fee.

Thanks for the advise. I have personally done the H&H approach for myself and you are correct, it can get very expensive. Planning on the buddy approach and will definitely start with the .22.