Yotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, so last weekend the grandkids wanted to 'camp out' at the pond. About 2am they came in the house, saying the yotes were noisy and close. The horses were hollering and acting crazy. We have lost some chickens and if something were to happen to my colt or any of the horses; not to mention the cows with young calves. Son managed to get one with his shotgun as it was chasing a turkey around the coop.

So my question ............. any of you 'seasoned' yote shooters have any tips? best calls? set up methods?

I have shot some, but it was just seeing them running through the pasture and opening up with the M4. Granted, lots of fun, but not real productive. Seen 2 this morning, but they disappeared before I could get a shot off.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't have traps, have M4, Rem 700 .223 Sniper, Ruger 77 MKII 7RemMag.

Prefer the red mist, but it would be nice to let the grandkids shoot some.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
right now is the best time for pup distress' and small varmint (rabbit, bird, etc...) they are young and dumb. also the mom will look for her pup. others yotes are curious at what the pup might be in.

as for calls its a wide open market. on my lanyard: Primos "lil Dog", les johnson "ruffidawg Jr.", closed reed rabbit distress, E.L.K Power Howler also carry a foxpro FX3. to me it depends on what you want to use plain and simple. if you use hand calls then practice with them. electronic calls can vary on their output, some can throw it out there good and cut our windy Oklahoma days and others can't. this is also same with hand calls too.

best setup; play the wind and the sun. keep the wind in your face and sun at your back. i usually always try and find a brush pile to hide around or something, shadowed area. if out in the open find a way to lean back comfortably keeping your silhouette low profile. i use the Predator Quest easy chair...very nice to have. then when you see them bopping in you lean up slow and smooth and blast away.

good luck and have fun.

i'm finally getting to head out to a spot tonight..new area..pretty pumped its been awhile for me since we have been baseballing it...

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trap them yourself or call a govt trapper. Trapping allows you to hunt them 24/7. Wish you were closer.

you can hunt them all year no matter what. rifle all year. now for the night hunting you can contact your local Game Warden and clear things with them, if they allow.

COYOTE

Dates & Open Areas:

Open year-round, except it shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial light and any sight dog.

Limits:

No daily, season or possession limit.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My point was you can't sit out there yourself 24/7 waiting on a coyote........where as 20 foot holds can 24/7 and never get tired, hungry, hot or discouraged:)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so last weekend the grandkids wanted to 'camp out' at the pond. About 2am they came in the house, saying the yotes were noisy and close. .

I remember those days, when I was a kid and wanted to camp out at my Uncles farm. 12-14 yrs old and be a wanna be mountain man. :D
He had 90 acres of woods in a bottom with an artisian well that bubbled clear water out of the ground. He put a tractor rim around it, and had a little watering hole.

Thats where I put up my lean-to natural shelter, and would spend weekends out there. The pond was over stocked with crappie and stunted, so it didn't take anything to catch them, but took a lot to get a meal. I trapped, blah, blah,

That had to be the most fun I've ever had as a kid.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"That had to be the most fun I've ever had as a kid."

Some of my best memories ever, for sure.

Last year, oldest grand son turned 13. We had been piling up brush all spring. He had 12 of his buddies and 15 family out to 'camp'. We lit a bonfire, pitched tents, shot BB guns and then .22s and finally threw some skeet when we gave him his brand new shotgun. A month before his birthday, kids were asking him when he was having another camp party.

The yotes are really thick this year. In the last 10 years, I may have seen 1 a month. Last year, I saw 5 in 1 night during a 20 mile drive. This spring, I am seeing 2 -3 a week.

Thinking this weekend, I'll go get a lil pig from a trapper I know. Dump the gut pile on top of the hill, hang a dead chicken in the tree, set up the electronic call and load a bunch of 30rd mags, sit back and see what happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom