You ever sitting at home, sick..and think...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were I to get an elephant gun, it would be a CZ 550 in 458 Lott. No practical reason, but they are intriguing. A gunsmith in Salina, KS, said that you could shoot 457 Winchester in the Lott as they headspace on the belt.

This also means that you can safely load mild cartridges if you want.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a friend that kinda collects #1's. None of the dangerous game cals though. He was here the other day sayin he's looking for the right deal on one in........257 Roberts I believe it was. I guess those are kinda rare and so they're pretty high when you find em.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago sportsworld in tulsa had remington 798's in safari calibers for around $400. There was .375 H&H and .458 win mag. I was really temped to buy one but what am I gonna do with a dangerous game rifle.

Same thing I'm gonna do...shoot it a few times, stick it in the safe and enjoy owning a pretty rifle (which is why I want a No.1).

Were I to get an elephant gun, it would be a CZ 550 in 458 Lott. No practical reason, but they are intriguing. A gunsmith in Salina, KS, said that you could shoot 457 Winchester in the Lott as they headspace on the belt.

This also means that you can safely load mild cartridges if you want.

Shoot it. Enjoy it. Work up reduced loads and use it to hunt about anything you want. I saw an article years ago about a guy who used a .458 Win Mag to shoot jack rabbits ... no foolin'. And, he shot full bore solids. Just punched a hole straight through. And, yes, the .458 Lott is basically nothing but a .458 Win Mag in a .375 H&H length case so you can safely shoot the Win Mag in the Lott chamber. I wouldn't do it on a daily basis, but perfectly safe. I just happen to be one of those fools who likes 'big' guns and recoil. I've wanted to hunt Cape Buffalo literally since I was a kid. My lovely wife convinced me to "just do it," so I did.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thing is testing my patience. I REALLY want a stainless in 458 Lott...but man...this is soooooo nice

http://www.armslist.com/posts/10525506/tulsa-oklahoma-rifles-for-sale--ruger--1-416-rigby-tropical

Uuuuhhhhhmmmmmmm. If that is as nice as it appears, I would be doing some serious negotiating. Classic, timeless, African dangerous game cartridge. Did I mention, it's a classic? I'm afraid that if I looked at it, I would be finding a way to come up with the cash. I know of one or two I would sell if I needed to. It would be expensive to shoot but, did I mention, it's a classic? Hey, you don't want stainless! Wood and blue are where it's at!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm saving the blue/walnut single shot slot for an 1885 to go with my 1886

Browning 1886.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom