You know what sucks...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweat actually is a bit corrosive. There are some salts in it, some people more than others.

As to Ceracoating it, it's not the best thing for a revolver. Back there on the grip frame it won't be a problem, but you need a nice healthy (read thick) for it to hold up well. That's not going to work very well in the cylinder area.

I'd call S&W if it bothers you. But I would just wipe it down and carry it.

ETA: It does sound as though something might be up with the anodize coating. It is normally very corrosion resistant.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well - I've read stuff about aluminum corroding before, and I know its susceptible to corrosion and it takes a specific body PH type to do it faster than others (its the same way with treated steel - Glocks are a good example as their Achilles heel is a specific PH type of body's sweat).

I thought the anodization would protect it, but it looks like it is corroded under the grips as well as on the back-strap, so its definitely sweat-caused damage (you guys had me questioning whether or not I had left something in the case with it when transporting and scratched it up - but when I look at it, you can tell its not scratches).

I'm taking a pretty strong vitamin supplement and I'm wondering if that's causing the extra strength sweat.

I don't know, but if my sweat is going to continue to cause this kind of damage (because I'm going to be taking the vitamins for a while), then I either can't carry this guy or I have to get it better protected.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone's sweat is different but it's all corrosive and some more than others, vitamins or not that's your body chemistry. I think J.P. rusted a Glock the same way, but he'd have to chime in, I forget what happened.

There's always NP3 or chroming. :D

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever tried Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12801/Product/TUF_CLOTH_trade____TUF_GLIDE_trade__LIQUID or maybe some BreakFree weapons wipes? I mention those because they are handy.

I don't think I'd go to the trouble of refinishing an almost "new" gun at this point. Just remember that you have some serious sweat and wipe it down after you carry it. It is a carry piece so its going to show some wear from carry no matter what finish you put on it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone's sweat is different but it's all corrosive and some more than others, vitamins or not that's your body chemistry. I think J.P. rusted a Glock the same way, but he'd have to chime in, I forget what happened.

There's always NP3 or chroming. :D

I'd suggest he get a stainless J-frame and then have it NP3'd. Double up on the protection...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe an undershirt? I never leave home without one.

I was wearing an undershirt - it was pocket-carried.

I've not had issues with sweat on my M&P340CT ever - and I carried it the same way lots of times - I wasn't taking vitamins back then (matter of fact, I've sweated on lots of guns I've owned and never had an issue before this one).

Wiping it down isn't an option seeing as how it got under the rubber portion of the grips (and I'd rather not remove the grips every time I sweat on it).

This sucker's getting coated so I don't have to worry about it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EZ this whole thing sweat/anodizing thing has made me curious. It looks like other people have had trouble with this same issue. Apparently, there were issues with the finish that was applied during certain time periods. The good news is it sounds like S&W will make good on it. I'd contact them and see if they are willing to fix it.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-842945.html

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That does suck; the corrosion is surprising. Goes to show all the weird crap that can happen out there.

Were you using a pocket holster? That can be an extra layer of protection between the gun and our sweaty selves.

Might not have saved the backstrap, though. A couple weeks ago my slacks got drenched when I got caught outside in one of these :mad: T-storms, and I didn't remove my 642 from the pants for a few hours. The only dampness was where the gun was not covered by my pocket holster (Galco horsehide). It is fine now except for some mottling of the finish on the backstrap. Might be partly the water and part normal wear from practicing with the gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom