You know what sucks...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people think S&W can do. If they refinish it in that clearcoat it will just happen again. The only way to solve the problem, if it bothers him is to either pull the grips after every trip or have it coated with a superior anti-corrosive finish. I dunno if cerakote would do it either.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people think S&W can do. If they refinish it in that clearcoat it will just happen again. The only way to solve the problem, if it bothers him is to either pull the grips after every trip or have it coated with a superior anti-corrosive finish. I dunno if cerakote would do it either.

I'm guessing Ceracoat would do better than whatever Smith is using, but I'm sort of in the same mindset in that I don't want it re-coated so it can just corrode away again.

I'm not going to stop carrying it in my pocket when I sweat (I did figure out how to attach a nylon zip-up case to my bicycle without it looking too suspicious though - so no more bicycling with it in my pocket).

I just want it protected, it doesn't have to look pretty (I'm not planning on selling it).

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm thinking maybe S&W may have forgotten the clearcoat or it was a bad batch or some other kind of quality issue, so getting it redone may solve the problem. If it corrodes again, you can always Cerakote it later.

Could I be wrong? Sure, but it would be worth it to me to try.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing Ceracoat would do better than whatever Smith is using, but I'm sort of in the same mindset in that I don't want it re-coated so it can just corrode away again.

I'm not going to stop carrying it in my pocket when I sweat (I did figure out how to attach a nylon zip-up case to my bicycle without it looking too suspicious though - so no more bicycling with it in my pocket).

I just want it protected, it doesn't have to look pretty (I'm not planning on selling it).

Well, you may or may not like this. If it is your "working gun", I would either use spray-on Plasti-Dip to coat the backstrap only, or (more $) shoot just the strap with Dura/Tef/Moly/Cera.

Clear-coat is not nearly as durable as anodizing, so that doesn't surprise me too much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom