You need to be crappie fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right after the rain quit, went to the lake to bank fish. Thought I'd try something different, so took the fly rod with a micro jig.
First cast got a nice sand bass, then some Kentucky bass hit it. Picked up a few more of each, then the wind picked up and had to use an ultralight rig. Caught several on it.
Released everything.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160418_c831c5bdc56f6d41b7f339d23f49af7f.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160418_e965f32907a0410446346c9104ce995b.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160418_8913fa118a0a235459a5c92316a11459.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome, Dennis. I need to figure out fly fishing. My wife gave me a fly rod for Christmas in 2014 and I have yet to even test it out.
I'm still learning. I only get to use it a couple times a year. There is a really steep learning curve on PROPER casting techniques. Some of which I'm trying to correct to this day. At times I can lay the line out parallel to the water, and have it lay without a ripple. 99% of the rest of the time it looks like I threw a ski rope out there with an anchor on it. You can't learn if you don't try! :D
Get instruction before you ever get started throwing the fly. Less correction to be repaired later down the road and less frustrating.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. Great mental image. I think I've seen bass pro have fly casting seminars. I'll take a gander at them and cabelas to see if I can find one.
Check ahead of time before going. Actually talk to one of the sales folks in the fly section.
I went to the Broken Arrow BP years ago when first wanting to learn.
I went into the store, and NOBODY knew squat about any fly casting seminar.
Took out the phone, pulled up their website and showed them schedule.
A guy put together a rod/reel/combo, and took me to the pond. He spent about 10 minutes telling me to do 10-2 swings, and needed to go back inside to take care of a client. "bring me the rod when your done" was his last words. A few minutes later, a small bass broke the fly off, so I went back inside to see what's next, and he was nowhere to be found. I leaned the gear up and left.
In their defense, it was within a couple of weeks of their opening, so it may be totally different now. Call before you go.

Bowler7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your in the OKC metro get with Josh Stratton at Cabelas he can get started right. Just go in to service desk and ask for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom