You owe me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh...

...memories. Only most of mine were like Dennis described. Cold, middle of the night, and up every hour to go check the ones close to birthing. Plus, we weren't lucky enough to be able to do the job in a chute. We were normally lying on the ground while reaching in. Our pullers weren't that fancy either.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh...

...memories. Only most of mine were like Dennis described. Cold, middle of the night, and up every hour to go check the ones close to birthing. Plus, we weren't lucky enough to be able to do the job in a chute. We were normally lying on the ground while reaching in. Our pullers weren't that fancy either.
I hear ya and like I told Dennis, this was a very special occasion where the stars aligned. We had checked her an hour earlier so when we went to check her again we took all the luxury equipment. We even had sleeves!! For a minute I thought we may have to rope her and do a field operation but after a couple very very light yes very light bumps with the truck we got her headed fairly straight to the corral. The bumps with the truck were very light. Actually...I think the cow actually bumped the truck....yeah after the cow bumped the truck very very very light a couple times she asked us if we would like to go to the corral with her. We said yes honey darling sweetie pie and then we were in the corral and happy and it was a very pleasant experience.

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya and like I told Dennis, this was a very special occasion where the stars aligned. We had checked her an hour earlier so when we went to check her again we took all the luxury equipment. We even had sleeves!! For a minute I thought me may have to rope her and do a field operation but after a couple very very light yes very light bumps with the truck we got her headed fairly straight to the corral. The bumps with the truck were very light. Actually...I think the cow actually bumped the truck....yeah after the cow bumped the truck very very very light a couple times she asked us if we would like to go to the corral with her. We said yes honey darling sweetie pie and then we were in the corral and happy and it was a very pleasant experience.
I'd call that BS, but clearly, it's "C" S--the bull was long gone!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear ya and like I told Dennis, this was a very special occasion where the stars aligned. We had checked her an hour earlier so when we went to check her again we took all the luxury equipment. We even had sleeves!! For a minute I thought we may have to rope her and do a field operation but after a couple very very light yes very light bumps with the truck we got her headed fairly straight to the corral. The bumps with the truck were very light. Actually...I think the cow actually bumped the truck....yeah after the cow bumped the truck very very very light a couple times she asked us if we would like to go to the corral with her. We said yes honey darling sweetie pie and then we were in the corral and happy and it was a very pleasant experience.

I only pulled a couple but it was NEVER a pleasant experience. I actually had better times helping horses give birth than cows. Horses I can calm with talking soft and gentle stroking, cows not so much.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, if you'd break 'em to ride, the cows might be nicer too... :D

Meh...

...I've been to a few rodeos in my time. Cow-critters aren't too inclined to be willing to be ridden. Although, we did have one heifer that was raised from the milk cow, so she was hand fed and even liked to be around us humans.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

Man where are my Mucks!! Bull hockey is getting deep in the Cowcatcher animal husbandry thread!!:cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom