Young Shooters Matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything local specific to youth that my son can start his NRA shooter program. He is wanting to work toward the Dist Shooter, and I am not up on the rules, but we would like to go to something that is geared toward the younger crowd where he can feel like he is in the running. We have been to a few of the local shoots, and there is not a showing of youngsters. Ideas?

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call or email Tri City gun club and OKC gun club. Get him out there with the men. After a couple of matches he will be beating several of them I would expect. I'd bring him out to a pistol match with his 22lr. There's a kid under 12 that shoots the Tri City ipsc match and he's pretty good. They let him start unholstered and give him special treatment to make it more fun for him.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything local specific to youth that my son can start his NRA shooter program. He is wanting to work toward the Dist Shooter, and I am not up on the rules, but we would like to go to something that is geared toward the younger crowd where he can feel like he is in the running. We have been to a few of the local shoots, and there is not a showing of youngsters. Ideas?

Greg Myers is heavily involved with the Junior program at Red Castle....pm me with your contact info and I will forward it to him.

G Law

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If there is enough interest in a Junior match I would be happy to put something together. How about something similar to steel challenge but with the Juniors shooting .22 pistol or .22 rifles? Let me hear from you moms and dads.
G

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Call or email Tri City gun club and OKC gun club. Get him out there with the men. After a couple of matches he will be beating several of them I would expect. I'd bring him out to a pistol match with his 22lr. There's a kid under 12 that shoots the Tri City ipsc match and he's pretty good. They let him start unholstered and give him special treatment to make it more fun for him.

I think the NRA program is a bit different from what we do for weekend kicks.

There is a gentleman on here, No.343, that is double distinguished, if I am not mistaken. You might pm him and see if he knows where a youngster could get started. His name is Javier and he has a lot of contacts here.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Youthis got me thinking if there was something for female shooters? Soory to hijack your thread. My gf is kinda interested in shooting sports and if there was a competition or match or kind of a beginner shooting course I think she would really enjoy it. Sure it might cost me more in the future in ammo and gun purchases but it be fun to show her what the addiction is all about. I don't think she would feel comfortable in shooting with a bunch of guys but if there was a womans only match or somethingi think she would really dig it

JDBrum

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wormy, The Steel challenge match that Gary puts on at USSA is great for the ladies and Jr. shooters.. Start them out with a 22 ruger or buck mark and it's loads of fun for cheep!! My son loves it and looks forward to it every month.

Latest posts

Top Bottom