Young Turkeys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete62

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was traveling down the road at the farm this morning, and saw a hen turkey and her four poults cross in front of me. What a beautiful sight! They were about the size of a full grown bob white quail except the turkeys had longer legs. Come on Turkey season.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw strutting birds last weekend between Blanchard and Chickasha. I also found some birds on the roost last Thursday and they gobbled like crazy when I made a feeble attempt at a yelp with my voice.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice.

Hey check this - yesterday, June 6th, I saw a tom and a hen in a field- and I crap you not, it looked like he was strutting as I drove by - are they still mating possibly?

I'm not a biologist by any means but live among them, and see them strut year around. The jakes are the most fun to watch.
I kind of equate this behavior to a night at the local bar. All the young studs in their finery are strutting around the place hoping one of the queens/hens will notice them. Most of the mature turkey don't strut as much.
I'm thinking its all about mating season for the hens. They are only interested in certain times of the year. Mother nature has her ways:anyone:

For the OP, I did see one hen and one poult two days ago. They usually lay 10-15 eggs, so for what-ever reason, only one survived.

Latest posts

Top Bottom