Your Favorite Small Frame Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Ruger Super Black Hawk. Hides real easy just put it in wifes purse and she never sees it because of all the other crap she stores in it.

Dang you said small frame! S&W 642 the only bad thing is my wife likes it better than her Kel Tec.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though it is no longer manufactured, my favorite small-frame revolver is the old Colt Police Positive Special. It is the same frame as the Detective Special.
The late Chic Gaylord was fond of it as well, calling it the 'most practical personal defense weapon for all-around use'.

Here is a link with a picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colt_Police_Postive_Special.jpg

Just a guess but from the sharp corners of the grip frame, I'd say that this particular gun dates from the mid-1950's. My PPS from the Royal Hong Kong Police is dated 1955 and its' grip has the sharp corners as well. I also have one in 32 S&W Long dated from 1958 that has the rounded grip frame.

I have to agree, here is what I did to mine....made it a snubbie.

alh3.ggpht.com__cw7szDh41MM_SUnpHufLUKI_AAAAAAAAB4w_ValzJ1S_jxY_s720_PICT0398.JPG

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to shoot an LCR, just to see if it lives up to the hype.

I'm with you. I'd LOVE to test fire one of those babies.

I saw two (one with laser grips) at Sports World last week. But, I'd really like to get one out on the range before laying down the cashola.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm with you. I'd LOVE to test fire one of those babies.

I saw two (one with laser grips) at Sports World last week. But, I'd really like to get one out on the range before laying down the cashola.

I have one big issue with the new LCR. You can't use J-Framed speedloaders (HKS) with it. Ruger designed the cylinder just a little bit smaller than the J-frames. Your reload is going to be speedstrips or loose rounds. Speedstrips are ok if my J-frame is a backup, but if used as primary I like to have a couple of speedloaders on hand.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have one big issue with the new LCR. You can't use J-Framed speedloaders (HKS) with it. Ruger designed the cylinder just a little bit smaller than the J-frames. Your reload is going to be speedstrips or loose rounds. Speedstrips are ok if my J-frame is a backup, but if used as primary I like to have a couple of speedloaders on hand.

Yeah, I read that somewhere. That kinda irked me. I mean, why?? But, since I don't foresee using one as a primary often (if ever), so it doesn't bother me too much.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, I read that somewhere. That kinda irked me. I mean, why?? But, since I don't foresee using one as a primary often (if ever), so it doesn't bother me too much.

There are some who will buy this as their primary, and I like you don't understand Ruger's thinking on this since their SP101 uses those same speedloader's. Thats what the LCR was originally designed for was folks who wanted a light revolver to carry everyday as their primary, but your going to hobble them with slow reloads via a speedstrip.

It means little to me as I don't go in for the little lightweights, due to mechanical issues with these. I've never been bothered with packing an all steel J-frame, an feel they are the best at what they do.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I like the middle weight snubbies, the airweights. I wouldn't want one of the AirLites, with the titanium barrel with SS insert. Too light. Also heard that they aren't as accurate as the ones with steel barrels. To me, if I'm going to pack a 20oz revolver, I can add a few ounces and carry a compact Glock. So if the snubbie is going to be a backup, I would want it to be lighter than my primary.

I do understand what you are saying about being a lot lighter than an all steel medium frame. I have no problems carrying my 3" GP, so a 2" 60 would be easy. But I just can't justify the small gain in weight, for the loss of 1 round (almost 20%) and shootability.

I just haven't found too many occasions that demand a smaller gun than a Glock 19 or 3" GP that would allow a 20oz model 60. One of the few regular occurrences that preclude the larger guns is when I'm out running. Then I need as light as possible.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's an excellent point. I was not aware of that reloading fact. That's why I love this forum.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree, here is what I did to mine....made it a snubbie.

alh3.ggpht.com__cw7szDh41MM_SUnpHufLUKI_AAAAAAAAB4w_ValzJ1S_jxY_s720_PICT0398.JPG

Nice work!! I prefer the 4" barrel though. Just a guess, but the gun looks like it was made in the 1930's or earlier. Especially if those are the original grips. I also notice the new style Dick Special barrel. In case you are interested, around 1952 or so, Colt made the bottom of the frame above the trigger guard flatter, and they also redesigned the sights, making them wider, and more rugged.
I have recently seen and shot a couple of Colt's Police Positive (not to be confused with the Police Positive Special) revolvers in 32 Colt New Police, from WWI that still shot well. The serial numbers confirmed the dates of manufacture as 1914 and 1918.

Latest posts

Top Bottom