Your Favorite Small Frame Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, this one was made from a Police Positive 38 in 1916 but the barrel is from a new style cobra, I had to cut down the ejector arm and rethread it so it would fit inside the groove. the 4 inch barrel was badly pitted but the frame just needed some TLC and I wanted a snubbie for a carry gun so this is what I made for myself.

The colors don't show up well but the hammer, trigger and cylinder are niter blued amber. Looks kind of like chocolate in the pictures, the rest is refinished in a dark almost purple black.

There is no rear sight, it is a groove in the top of the reciever and who needs a sight on a snubbie anyhow, if you have to aim in a self defense situation you have not practiced enough.

This is the D frame which is smaller than the J frame and no one makes aftermarket grips for it. Thought about making some wood grips at one time but I really like these.
Even though I have fat stubby fingers this gun fits my hand well and it shoots like a dream.

Nice work!! I prefer the 4" barrel though. Just a guess, but the gun looks like it was made in the 1930's or earlier. Especially if those are the original grips. I also notice the new style Dick Special barrel. In case you are interested, around 1952 or so, Colt made the bottom of the frame above the trigger guard flatter, and they also redesigned the sights, making them wider, and more rugged.
I have recently seen and shot a couple of Colt's Police Positive (not to be confused with the Police Positive Special) revolvers in 32 Colt New Police, from WWI that still shot well. The serial numbers confirmed the dates of manufacture as 1914 and 1918.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the difference between the model 38 and 49. And which revision number of each did they start with the internal lock if ever.

Ahhh...the Bodyguards! :heart:

Model 38 = Airweight/blued or nickel.

Model 49 = All steel/blued or nickel.

Model 438 = Airweight/blued with stainless steel cylinder & barrel w/ Melonite finish.

Model 638 = Airweight/stainless.

Model 649 = All stainless steel.

Retops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned and carried S&W models 60, 10, 36, 442, 642, 638 and 38. Currently have the 340PD that is a terrific little pocket pistol and the 637. For serious carrying, if it is a revolver, I am packing my S&W 327PD, 8 shots of 357.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite is the 642. Great feel in the hand, VERY accurate and the perfect weight. Not too light, not too heavy. If only I had a 442 no-lock to go with it. Sigh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom