Your Most Effective Lures For Bass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had pretty equal luck with all lure types back when I fished in the stone age. Just depends on what they'll hit and what you have to do to get it to them.

Walking a Zara Spook was action packed when they hit
Plastic worm or Salt Craw Texas rigged
A ton of spinner baits
Various crank baits
Jig and Pig caught my biggest bass ever

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe it took 19 posts to get to Senkos those things are darn near cheating. Nothing has such a nervous wiggle as them. Also like trick worms weightless. When I fished a couple days a week I always had minimum of 6 to 8 different rigs on the deck at all times.

These were usually always rigged up but I fished year round rain, snow, heat, cold, night day didn't matter.
Watermelon Red Speed worm
Chrome 1/4 oz rattle trap
Black buzz bait
Red spinner with red/black double tail yamamotto grub
Zoom Horney Toad Watermellon seed
Senko Watermelon seed
String King Square bill 1.5 chartreuse/black
Chatterbait orange/brown or brown
Merthiolate trick worm
Speed craw green pumpkin
Bandit Flat Maxx Taco Salad.
Reaction Innovations sweet beaver green pumkin
Reaction Innovations Little Dipper watermelon seed

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most tackle is meant to catch the eye of the fisherman at the tackle shop.
In reality, lures rely on color to catch the eye of the fish in different water conditions. Murky water darker baits, clear water lighter baits.
Putting the bait where the fish are is the key.
Water conditions including temperature during the summer when there is a thermocline dictate one depth. Winter conditions with no thermocline dictate another strategy.
A $4 Rapala in the right color will catch just as many fish as a $30 Yozuri in the right color if you put it in front of the fish with the right presentation.
The difference is that the pro's will swear by the Yozuri because they are pumping money into his tournament dreams.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had pretty equal luck with all lure types back when I fished in the stone age. Just depends on what they'll hit and what you have to do to get it to them.

Walking a Zara Spook was action packed when they hit
Plastic worm or Salt Craw Texas rigged
A ton of spinner baits
Various crank baits
Jig and Pig caught my biggest bass ever
Walking the dog with a zara spook at the Sooner Power Plant discharge when the big stripers and hybrids made a run up the discharge was some of the most exciting action I've ever had on freshwater. They typically flare their gills and strike the bait thinking it's a shad to stun it, then turn around and take the wounded fish. They would knock the bait out of the water, then we could just jiggle the spook to make it look wounded with the striper/hybrids. Fished my lunch hour almost every day in the discharge of the PP on the employee side.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
@dennishoddy I totally agree with you. I will say though there are some things that have better action that others. For instance I think a Yamamotto senko will out-fish any brand of senko knock off. You may only get one fish per bait but they have that salt/plastic ratio perfect.

I think back to when Major League fishing started. They were fishing Falcon I believe. They were killing fish on jerk baits. They cut to KVD and he had a Megabass vision tied on. You could clearly tell was what it was. Even though around that time he had introduced the Strike King Jerk bait. I always wondered why certain baits are better than other brands. For instance I have tried lots of rattle trap knock offs from off brand to Japanese ones that cost 4-5x the cost. I still caught more fish on the rattle trap.

I have seen pros and the stuff on their deck is usually all beat to heck with no paint because they know that one of 20 of the exact same bait has that just a bit erratic movement to it. Anyway I am getting into the weeds.

One thing I thought of when reading the opps posts is talk about fishing the bank. One of the best things you can do is learn to leave the bank and find the channel, structure and other in water things that hold fish. Its hard to do but once you learn to fish open water everything changes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom