Your ONE only .308/7.62x51mm?????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was on a real strict budget, I'd consider a British Enfield in .308. 10 round mag, fastest bolt ever, and decent sights.
For you tacticool ninjas that would scoff - ask a Soviet veteran of Afghanistan about the Enfield's effectiveness.

The Enfield action is fast. Mad minute anyone?

Didn't know they had a 308 version though. That would be pretty slick.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .308 version is actually Indian made at RDI (Rifle Factory Ishapore). The 2A's of RFI have a different steel that allows them to be stronger. The only British .308 is the sniper L4A1 but your budget better be aroun 10,000 bucks for one of those.

If you look hard you can find quality FAL's for a 1,000 or even cheaper a PTR.

FAL FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jump on in troop, join the winning team!

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ishapores are sexy, but limited to only 7.62Nato spec'ed ammo. Doesn't do well on a steady diet of .308 unless it was pretty lightly used and the head space is fairly tight. I love mine, classiest bolt rifle I own. Also have an Israeli K98 in 7.62, and the 12 round capacity of the Ishapore and smoothe bolt and classy lines make it the best bolt action rifle ever, IMHO.

For under a grand the CMP Special M1 in .308 is the best. I am compelled to shoot it more than any other rifle I own at this time. The Saiga is a good gun but 20-round mags are not very durable or available and quite expensive and the OEM 10-rounders are still pretty steep. The receiver and most of the parts are USGI, but the brand new CMP stock and Criterion barrel make you feel less bad about rough handling and dings and scratches.
The .308 chambering allows me to use almost any commonly available round 168grs and below without worrying about bending the Op-Rod instead of being stuck with M2 Ball, which slightly offsets the price difference IMHO, especially when surplus M2 dries up.
Honestly, I could probably do with just the M1 for the rest of my life and be happy AND have a rifle that will do everything you could possibly need a rifle for.

Really though...1500 is not that much. You saved up a grand. Keep it up, and halve the time it took you to save that much. Okay, now you're getting into legacy battle rifle territory. Double that length of time and you're into modern .308 rifle/used car territory. However, for $995, the Garand is the best under 1k.

sureNsteady

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted a PTR91, but ended up with an FNH FNAR 20". I'm glad, but now I want a Kel Tec RFB. Alas, no room in the safe so I must be satisfied with the FNAR for now.

IMG_1893.jpg

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Rock River LAR-10 great rifle and uses FAL mags metric or inch very accurate. I love it! I also have a FNAR very very accurate but mags are harder to find and way more expensive

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brandi, you have my apologies for the he/she screw up. For some reason, I thought another member had made that comment. My defense remains steadfast though.

No problem...it actually happens a lot on gun forums because there are so few women. Thanks for the defense, it was appreciated.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uncle money bags
"I think you are a little confused about number 2."

I wrote that, and I own it.
It wasnt meant to hurt any ones feelings, or to demonstrate some superiority, or to be an ass.

If any member or guest here have been harmed in any way by my post, that is regrettable in so far as you do not understand the levity of my statement.

A simple.."oops, I screwed up, thanks for the catch.." or something to that effect would have been just dandy and could have ended the whole messy affair. Except for the the drawn out dialogue necessary to affect learning for at least one of our members who honestly did not know the difference, this conversation has been a reminder of just how easily some people get offended when confronted.

For them, I have no joy.

Levity..ok...had you simply just accepted the typo like everyone else there would have been no need for any unpleasantness at all. You instead went on and on about it to take advantage of the situation while the others were calling you out on it but still you continued. Now you judge me harshly for my harsh response as if it were unwarranted and you had done nothing to deserve it. I'm not easily offended nor do I usually confront people upon those rare times but you caught me at just the right time and I was in no mood to let it go unanswered.

You made a butt of yourself in front of the others and instead of backing down you bowed up and continued despite the others dismissing my mistake as such. So, you caught me in a mood and instead of just letting it go as usual I responded. My response was neither unwarranted nor overly harsh considering your lengthy comments throughout the conversation. Anywho, it's over and done with and I hold no hard feelings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom