Youth hunting rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_rae

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on youth hunting rifles for a 70lb 10 yo. Couldnt get out during the youth only hunt but he is fired up about getting in the woods when rifle season opens. Let me know your thought and happy hunting!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Youth Savage or Browning in .223. Not a fan of the H&R, NEF triggers for newbie kid shooter. I don't want them to have to pull a 10lb trigger and keep the cross hairs on the target.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the child has a .243 then he can hunt deer in Okla for the rest of his life and be fine. He can hunt antelope and coyotes too and have plenty of gun to do the job. If an H&R or NEF is purchased in .223 then there is little room for error, there is a heavy trigger to deal with and resale will be difficult when it is time to upgrade. The gun will be cheaper to purchase on today's dollars than it will be in several years with gun prices rising in the future. Buy the child a good quality bolt gun in .243 that he can grow into and have memories be built for the rest of his life. Remember you probably have fond memories of your FIRST rifle so why shouldn't he be allowed to. If he has a heavy trigger to contend with and possibly cripple and lose a deer or two then we will build negative thoughts about hunting because of a cheap gun. That is not fair to him or you. You want to build a little hunting buddy out of your child to share many hunts in the future. Buy quality first. my .02 cents

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my friend and his kids shooting at Lexington he has 3 kids that went from 11-16 years old.
The guns shot were AR .223, 45acp pistol and 357 mag pistol.
There were my 3 bolt rifles 30-06 mossberg 100atr and a 243 same brand. and my savage 10fp .308.

The 11yo girl could not get enough of the 243, she clamped on to that and did not want to share. very accurate and a confidence booster..My hunting buddies also love that 243.
I never thought when i got this for my wife it would be so popular.

Latest posts

Top Bottom