Youth hunting rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 10 year old that is 70lbs also and she took her first deer this last youth season. I bought her a Ruger American compact in .223. IMO, its an EXCELLENT gun for a young/small kid. Small, hardly kicks, isn't loud and for the money a very accurate little gun. I had her shooting 64 grain Winchester Razorback XT ammo out of it, and the bullet performed flawlessly. She put it right behind the shoulder and had a complete pass thru and took out the top of the heart in the process.

www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_caitlin.JPG

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
if budget is an issue, look at the mossberg ATR 100 youth. i've mentioned this before on here, but i'm totally impressed with the accuracy of these budget guns. i've had them in 06,270 and 243 youth.a buddy of mine got a little pissed when my son was matching his custom 260 rem 700 at 200 yards.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering a left handed Savage Axis Youth for my 60lb 7 year old boy. I'm debating .223 versus .243. Does anyone have any input on the recoil deference between the two? I'd like go with the .243, but I don't want to get more than he can handle.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
like deer slayer said. if he can handle the 243, he can use it the rest of his life. put it in an adult stock later on and he's good to go. you might consider borrowing a couple guns to be sure. don't let on about calibers,recoil,etc. just see what he likes.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The majority of the hunters on the OYH&SP deer hunts use a .243 (I bring my 6mm).........so I'd say that the recoil is not an issue for most. They won't feel it at all during the hunt, so making them comfortable while practicing and sighting in is where recoil issues could arise. One young hunter on our youth hunt last month took one shot with the .243......and he was done, he wanted nothing to do with it after the first shot. After about an hour, we convinced him to shoot a .17HMR........then a .223.......and then he finally got comfortable with the .243. He took a doe at 65y the next evening with it.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering a left handed Savage Axis Youth for my 60lb 7 year old boy. I'm debating .223 versus .243. Does anyone have any input on the recoil deference between the two? I'd like go with the .243, but I don't want to get more than he can handle.

Well it all depends on load and weight of the gun, but there is a recoil chart on this page to give you an idea:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Personally I would not want my 60lb kid shooting a 243. Why? Because I know without a doubt they can handle and more accurately shoot a 223. As that chart shows, a 243 has light recoil in the grand scheme of rifles, but is substantially more than a 223.

Granted I understand a "one gun does it all" theory, but if money isn't a huge issue, or you don't mind buying a bigger gun when the time comes a 223, IMO, is a far superior choice when it comes to "lightweight" kids.

For example. My 70lb daughter could shoot a whole box of 223 for practice and never feel a thing. Never even got a bruise from shooting. I highly doubt she could have taken that many shots with a 243. Practice makes perfect and it allowed her to get a lot of practice in before the big event.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats to your daughter on that nice deer and excellent shot with that .223 ElkStalkR
Same to the .243 harvest from your kids also J.T.

Either will do an excellent job of killing and can't agree more on the possibility of better shot placement on a less kicking rifle.
I have not joined the .223 arsenal.. kind of got all I need or want in the reloading department now.
SOOO many tempting .223's out there though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you would like i can meet you and let you and her shoot my wife's 243 mossberg 100atr.
I go past Moore on my way to Lexington to shoot.
Or at least see if it is easy for her to shoulder and sight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom