Youth, Hunting Tishomingo NWR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My Nephew got drawn out for Tishomingo NWR Youth hunt this year and trying to get some information. Looking for any advise one might be willing to share to make this a good youth hunt. plain to go scout this area in august, but it will be my only scouting trip before the hunt. Any advise on where to start would be appreciated.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's the way it was a couple years ago, you'll get assigned an area the day of the hunt. There are TONS of deer down there....a popup blind is a good thing to take, since you can use them about anywhere.
My son was 15 on his hunt there, he shot first deer sitting on ground eating lunch, no blind or anything. That evening he got his second from a climbing stand. I'd try to get a popup, a couple good chairs, binocs, and shooting sticks.

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess since they assign you a spot there is no need to scout it out? Great to hear that there is some good deer movement and two deer is awesome. That must have been a good hunt. Thanks again for the intell.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, scouting probably won't gain you much. There's lots of thick stuff, jungle-style. Do y'all have two doe tags?
There's hogs too, in 2006 they were saying "please shoot hogs" - by 2011. it was "don't shoot hogs". Some Fed regulation BS....you might call and ask 'em.
Post up how y'all do!

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We got a doe first and then a ether or tag. Hope he can find the success your son found. Wow that is strange on the hogs. I will have to see what they say and let you know.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They want you to shoot every hog you come across. Literally TONS of deer in there. I've hunted hogs there before, on the state side. on the NWR they get fussy unless you've got a permit. You'll have no problem bagging a deer.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They want you to shoot every hog you come across. Literally TONS of deer in there. I've hunted hogs there before, on the state side. on the NWR they get fussy unless you've got a permit. You'll have no problem bagging a deer.

The NWR is where the hunt is - you're correct, they want pigs killed, but the Feds have/had some rules that forbade killing pigs w/o specific permit on the WMA. That may have changed since we were there.

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
kyle78,
I sure hope so. I'm excited about the bonus hunt. We plan to hunt the controlled hunt and then hunt the rest of youth weekend on the management unit. It will be exciting and hearing you and TedKennedy take on this is much appreciated. He is very excited.

Latest posts

Top Bottom