Youth rifle --anyone taking a youth hunting ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
First one to post! I had a great morning with my daughter. this is her first deer and maybe one of the most exciting hunts i've ever been on.
we hunted a box blind overlooking a series of draws in some CRP. we saw one nice buck cross the property north of us but that was it.
there is a wheat field over the ridge and i sneak over there and take a look when i'm hunting there so we try that. sure enough there were three deer there so we use the weed line and some draws to work within 175 yds. this guy decides to come right at us and gets within 40 yards while we are leaning next to a tree for a rest. she decides to take a shot and he runs right at us! we had to dodge out of the way. he crashed into a dead tree knocking it down and then takes a dirt bath not twenty feet from us.
i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae253_dlbleak_PA150357.jpg

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too cool!!! Congrats to her and you dbleak!!! I'm out with my 11 year old son now and so far we haven't seen anything except for a couple of yotes today. But of course when you hunt like my boy you don't see too much!

i641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_bab26ac1.jpg

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well took my 10 year old brother-in-law out this morning since his dad was going to be gone helping a friend today. Anyways I go and pick him up at about 6 this morning from his parents house and he was up and ready to go, which is good, I THOUGHT. Anyways his dad let me use his Rhino and I drove him out to his dad's hunting lease about 3 miles away. We get there and get out and start walking to the blind and as we get closer, I see eyes pretty much right underneath as I shined the flashlight up ahead. As we keep on walking we end up spooking it off but it was just a doe. We finally get up in the blind and get settled in and I told him to go ahead and load his gun, 243 WIN. I see him pull out some nickle-plated rounds and a flag came up and I knew those are not the ones for his rifle. He grabbed his dad's 243 WSSM rounds by mistake. So we had to go back to the house and get the RIGHT ammo which was setting on the gun rack where his rifle was set out. Then we go back and walking back to the blind, spotted 2 deer not 20 yds from it with the flashlight, again. Well to finish this story out, all we seen was 8 does, 1 coyote and about 20 turkeys. Nothing shot. So next time you go out, double check...

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How cool , way to go young lady . First evening my grandson and I did not see a thing . This morning I took him and his school buddy , we still didn't see anything but had a lot of laughs and fun and that's all that matters

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome story dlbleak! She'll remember that forever.

My boy is only 6 but I (like a lot of others lately) have lost my normal hunting grounds and so I'm sitting it out this year.

tporter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took my son this morning. Had some does milling around about 200 yards through the trees. After a little bit this doe came out at about 150 yards. He made a great shot and dropped her in her tracks. He is 4/4 as of this youth season. Boy is getting good. Proud of him and thrilled to get to share it with him.
i419.photobucket.com_albums_pp274_aporter3_Deer_20Hunting_202011_IMG_3861.jpg

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
came back from wv to take my 12 and 14 year old all we seen this evening 1 doe,1 yote,1 of the biggest bobcat i have ever seen and a big congrats to all the younguns that takin one so far

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on the deer guys and gals, seeing lot's of deer just not what my we're looking for yet. Is it just me or is there an incredible population of yotes this year.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tporter , you have every right to be proud .All adults and there young hunting buddies should be very proud , if they harvested anything or not , to me time spent with a young person is time well spent . As deer 24/7 said CONGRATS to ALL young gunners .

Latest posts

Top Bottom