Youth shotgun question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took my wife and sister in law out to the Tri-City the other day to shot some clay pigeons. Took my Benelli Nova and Remington 870 Tactical express. While we had a blast, I found the 870 is not very suited to clay shooting due to the lack of an adjustable choke and the ghost rings.

With that the girls are having a hard time holding the Benellie up since it is a 26" model and an adult stock. Does anyone offer a youth model stock in 12g or am I going to be regulated to 20g in a youth stock? The girls dont mind the 12g recoil, just want a little shorter stock. I am really hoping to find a Remington 870 synthetic in 12g with a youth stock if it exists, else I may just find a decent used 870 and order the youth stock.

What do you all suggest for a ladfy who can handle a 12g but just needs a little shorter shotgun?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my perception is that 12g has better effectiveness/spread/range over a 20g, I may be completely off base on that thought though.

It honestly depends on your loading. I used to practice with a 7/8oz 20 gauge loading to save my shoulder and then compete with a 1 1/8oz loading 12 gauge. I think the Internationale load limits are about the same as a 20 gauge 7/8oz loading (haven't shot skeet in about 6 years). It is a little harder obviously with less shot, but shooting 500-600 rounds a week, your shoulder will thank you. They also have 1oz heavy shot loads in 20 gauge which brings you pretty close to a standard 12 gauge loading.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do build an 870 factory youth stock for a 12g. Actually seen them at bass pro one day (either tulsa or okc). Will likely get one for the girlfriend and use a mossberg or savage I have laying around. Now I need to find a youth size m700 stock for a long action....