Youth Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a 12 year old daughter who really wants a gun she can shoot. I've been helping her use my Remington 870 but she wants one that fits her. I know you can buy youth guns, but will they interchange with a new stock once they get older? My big concern is getting one that fits for a year and then never gets used again. Anybody run into this situation with their kids?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one that all of my kids have shot their first turkey with and it has killed lots of ducks, geese, dove, etc. Now it is getting loaned out to my brother's kids and some friend's kids till my grandkids get big enough to shoot it. I don't think I will ever sell it. I had the stock shortened more than factory and put a good recoil pad on it. Had the forcing cone lengthened and the barrel honed. All that makes it kick a kid less and shoot a better pattern. I had 4 kids go through it though and if I only had one and she was 12 already, I might let her grow another year and she will be in an adult gun.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After market stocks for an 870 are relatively cheap. Buy one, have it cut to fit her and then replace the original when she's older.

hawkfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liking the idea of chopping the stock, don't know why I didn't think of that myself. Out of my 5 kids, she is the only one wanting to go. 2 older boys want nothing to do with hunting, go figure. Maybe I'll have better luck with the 2 year old in a couple years!

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I wouldn't have given for a Dad that would have taken me shooting/hunting. Your children should consider themselves lucky. I had to get into guns under my own wing and wallet.
PS You had better watch that girl, she'll end up shooting better than you!

hawkfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
She's got a lot of potential for sure, very athletic and loves being outside. Won't take her long before she's dropping whatever she aims at. Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Now I'll have a good reason to go gun shopping!

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your biggest problem will be truly finding a "youth" gun. Myself, i have been searching for several years. Most manufacturers knock 1 inch off the buttstock and call it a youth gun. They are really more teenage or small statured adult guns. No one I've found makes what i consider a dedicated youth gun in a viable chambering. The 870 youth I bought is 1 inch shorter with a terrible recoil pad. My 10 yo daughter can't even come close to shouldering it for wingshooting. And this is from a girl that shot two deer at age 8 (with 30-30 and .270) and one at 9 (with .243). I've had the same issue trying to find a rifle to fit also.
IMO, best bet is shortening a stock yourself to fit. Replace stock as needed.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you could find a good deal on one used a Winchester Youth Ranger would be a good choice as well. I still have the Youth Ranger 20 Gauge pump I received for my 13th birthday 25 odd years ago. They are lightweight and proportioned well for kid.