Youth Turkey hunt, 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/outdoor-news/youths-sought-private-land-turkey-hunt

Youth turkey hunters have a special opportunity to participate in one turkey hunt that will take place April 1 on private land in Love County.

This year, 10 youths will be selected to participate in the private lands youth turkey hunt. To be eligible, youths must have completed their hunter education requirements prior to applying and must be 12-17 years old at the time of the scheduled hunt. Food and overnight accommodations will be provided by the Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation for selected participants.

Applications are being taken now and must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. March 10.

“This hunt is on private property and should provide young hunters a great opportunity to see some turkey as well as a chance to harvest a tom,” said Bill Dinkines, assistant chief of wildlife for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. “The Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission has endorsed the youth hunt program, and we are thankful for the landowners’ willingness to allow these kids the opportunity to hunt on their property.”

To complete an application, go to www.wildlifedepartment.com and search for "private youth turkey."

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats Okie! How did you find out? My daughter applied also. I got a congratulations email from ODW that I completed my hunters education. I did that over 25 years ago. Strange.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Incredible number birds, never been in so many birds and not killed one. Daughter rolled one earlier and ran off, and then fanned out again and walked off. Had 3 longbeards walk up single file and stand at 20y, all so close to each other she couldn't shoot and they turned and left. Had another bird circle around stand about 10y behind us. I dont think they liked the decoy. Birds all around now gobbling, rain and lightning sent us to the truck.

What a first class hunt, too. It was guided, which the advertisement didn't mention. Accommodations at the Noble Center was awesome, supper and lunch was awesome. There only 200 applicants, sign your kid up next year, it's a good one. As far as I know, 3/10 kids took a bird, plus 2 misses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom