Zero turn mower advice..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My cousin has a BadBoy and he's very happy with it. He's had it for several years now and the maintenance has been low. He put a new cheap carburetor on it this year and it runs like new. Kawasaki engine.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Toro 5060 Timecutter with the 23 HP Kawasaki engine. No complaints
This is probably a good time of the year to get a discount on a mower.

xjer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a new Commercial Cub Cadet with a 60" deck. I bought last years model and saved a couple of thousand dollars. My old Commercial Cub has about 4000 hours on it. I have been happy with the Cubs.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for brands - I think most big names are equally good, it's just what color you like best.
What's important is what DEALERS are nearby. You will need parts at some point.

Find a dealer and look at the various levels of mowers available (residential versus commercial).
Try to skip entry-level and aim for mid-level or commercial-level.
The (mid/commercial) level mowers get you rebuild-able components, thicker decks, thicker spindles, more robust parts.
The (mid/commercial) mowers are heavier which makes for a better ride. The entry-level stuff bounces you around a lot.
Suspension can be added with flex-forks on the front. Higher end seats help too (spring cushion).

$3K is a good start - but that'll only get you entry level stuff. Nothing heavy duty.
Use the $3K as the down-payment, and look for 0% financing to ease the pain on the rest.

Measure your gates -BEFORE- you buy. :)
Buy as big a cutting-deck as you can manage.

I really like my my Hustler Super-Z.
Hustler has been in the zero-turn commercial business for decades.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is my 2nd Cub Cadet zero turn mower and I have no regrets about buying this one. HD even gave me 10% off for veteran's discount. It is only 42", but I needed to get thru a couple of gates and that limited my cutting width to the smaller size.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cad...-with-Lap-Bar-Control-ULTIMA-ZT1-42/307458392

I'm on a quest now to see how long my Cub Cadet 50" zero turn will last. Bought June 05'. Start to smoke just a little now, still has original tires, blade spindles and hydrostats, seat still great condition. 600 and some hours iirc. There were 3 or 4 years where it hardly rained so it didn't get used much.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the John Deere ztr mowers!!! The Yanmar engine is one tough son of a gun!!! If the City of Okc mowing crews use John Deere ztr with the Yanmar engine...and I'm sure those guys DON'T treat them well and run the dog sh*t out of them...they're good.

How did I find this out ? For a month when I'd see some of those guys mowing,I'd stop and talk to them...look at the mower and ask they're opinion.
If they like them and treat them like a 1974 Toyota...they're built to last.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you hear people compare mower-X versus mower-Y, ...consider what they're comparing.

The City of Okc probably is buying commercial level equipment. And they run the equipment for thousand's of hours.
When most people talk about their personal experience, it's typically residential (entry) level.

Here's another thought:
Do you want to spend really-big buck for something that will last decades? Or...
Do you want to spend less for entry level stuff - with the understanding you'll need to buy another in 6-8 years?
(...There's something to the idea of a new and shiny mower every 6 years! But it is the cheaper end of mowers.)

Good luck with your search.
Whatever you buy, you'll most likely be very happy with the performance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom