Any electronics gurus here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a fairly new Sony 70" TV and 2 years ago the remote quit. I ordered new on and it was all good. Then, the other day it happened again so I ordered another remote and it's not working. So it got to be the TV I guess. Its a Sony RMT TX100U. Any suggestions? I cant even turn the TV off because there are no buttons on the TV itself.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this but the HOME button does nothing.

1. Replace the batteries in the Touchpad Remote Control with new ones.
  2. Initialize the Touchpad Remote Control.
  3. On the supplied IR remote, press the HOME button.
  4. Select Settings.
  5. Under the Network & Accessories category, select Touchpad Remote Control settings.
  6. Select Pair Touchpad Remote Control.
  7. Select Yes.
  8. Follow the on-screen instructions for pairing.

Number 2 has me confused.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now I found this but I dont recall doing this the last time I replaced the remote

How to Initialize the Touchpad Remote Control​

Applicable Products and Categories of This Article

IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.

Watch the Video Tutorial

1. Unplug the power cord of the TV.

Note: It is not possible to reset the remote while the TV is connected to AC power.

2. Remove the battery cover of the Touchpad Remote Control.
  3. Take out the batteries and put them back in.
  4. Press and hold the VOLUME MINUS (-) button.
  5. While holding the VOLUME MINUS (-) button, press and hold the POWER button.
  6. While holding down the VOLUME MINUS (-) button and POWER button, press the TOUCHPAD AREA for 3 seconds.

Note: The image below shows the buttons that have to be pressed in the steps above.

I'm afraid if I unplug the TV I wont be able to get it back on if this doesnt work.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, there should still be manual controls somewhere on the side of the tv for turning it on.

Do you have a smart phone and is the tv hooked to wifi or Ethernet. If so there are free apps that you can pair your tv and phone so that it works as a remote. It’s slow but would at least allow functionality at a minimum.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, there should still be manual controls somewhere on the side of the tv for turning it on.

Do you have a smart phone and is the tv hooked to wifi or Ethernet. If so there are free apps that you can pair your tv and phone so that it works as a remote. It’s slow but would at least allow functionality at a minimum.
There are no buttons on the TV. But, I finally decided to unplug the TV and follow the instruction above and it worked lol. So this issue is closed.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are no buttons on the TV. But, I finally decided to unplug the TV and follow the instruction above and it worked lol. So this issue is closed.
That is impressive. I’d think there had to be some manual control. My Sony only has three (center, up and down) and they allow basic navigation. The center button, when held, turns on and off the tv (and restarts it, when held long enough).

But either way, a remote app on your phone can work pretty well. I use it often when the 8 year old temporarily misplaces the main remote.

Latest posts

Top Bottom