What do you guys and gals keep in your safe room/ fraidy hole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Todays weather (which i am still watching at 1045 PM ) had me cleaning out my safe room and getting ready
I live on the peripheral border of Moore/Norman and memories of some of the storms in this area are still very fresh --

Saferoom was integrated into my 2012 house build but access is from my back porch - not an interior closet . My thinking back then was most tornado watches are 15-20 minute affairs and Lord willing, mostly false alarms -- and i thought if i was running dogs and muddy mmini pigs in and out - is raher have it on the back porch than ruining my carpet 5 times a year - made sense at the time in theory - but ive only felt compelled to utilize the space a handful of times since then

But --- today i stepped it up and threw a "go bag" of sorts in there with a change of clothes to include some sturdy jeans and a flannel, plus some boots and a pretty comprehensive first aid kit. I used to keep my firearms in there, but quit doing that as i want to always keep the room unlocked if its needed. Theres a mini fridge in there, so a 3 or 4 day supply of cheap light beer and water for my doggies but not much else in the way of preps

Curious what some of my fellow Okies keep in their Fraidy hole

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well my shelter is an old cellar built in 1942 that leaks, has a wooden door, is gross, etc

I came home from work early and got it swept out, killed the black widows and fiddle backs. Got it prepped

In there we keep: oils lamps, flashlights, bottles of water, roll of TP, emergency radio, camp chairs, etc… hoping we don’t have to use it tonight. Still pending lol

Good luck everybody

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Storm is over for us.
Inside the cellar, which is one of the 3/4 in ground, and 1/4 above ground contains a bucket with kitty litter, toilet paper, and air freshener.
Water, lawn chairs, snacks, candles flashlights, etc.
When we put the cellar in, we had to register it with the Osage County disaster management. They will do a drive by at every shelter registered to make sure a tree down isn't blocking those like us from getting out of the shelter.
Humans can last a long time without food or water. Typically 5 days without water and 20 some days without food according to reports from people shipwrecked, Pilots shot down and so on from 8 to over 20 days. People with some fat on them can last longer as the body feeds on itself to survive.
Everything we carry with us to the cellar is for convenience, not survival.
People know where we live. If there is a major incident like a tornado, they will come looking.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife has a couple bags full of clothes, shoes, medicines, dog food, cell phone chargers, extra eye glasses, etc etc. The day of action she prepares.

In the shelter that stays is chairs, cots, sleeping bags, a water tight 8 gallon empty chlorine bucket with RV Tank Additives and toilet paper that doubles as an extra chair. The weather day I put in Dewalt lights, fan, and several batteries. A chargers stays in it and a small 2000 watt generator inverter. Two of those loud can horns if we get blocked in, we can honk em through the turbine vents.

The weather day she puts a case of water and snacks in it. She and the dog got in it last night, a mile west of us got damaged. The shelter is a 10x7. Oh, also the not locked up guns that stay out to protect the place are put in it or in one of the bolted down safes.

IMG_5956.jpeg

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife has a couple bags full of clothes, shoes, medicines, dog food, cell phone chargers, extra eye glasses, etc etc. The day of action she prepares.

In the shelter that stays is chairs, cots, sleeping bags, a water tight 8 gallon empty chlorine bucket with RV Tank Additives and toilet paper that doubles as an extra chair. The weather day I put in Dewalt lights, fan, and several batteries. A chargers stays in it and a small 2000 watt generator inverter. Two of those can loud horns if we get blocked in, we can honk em through the turbine vents.

The weather day she puts a case of water and snacks in it. She and the dog got in it last night, a mile west of us got damaged. The shelter is a 10x7.

View attachment 476496
Is that a purpose-built safe shack?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that a purpose-built safe shack?

Yes. Supposedly EF5+ Rated. Weighs 17 tons as I recently found out, because I am going to move it to a different spot. This place we recently bought has two homes on it and it is located in a spot that doesn’t work well with our plans.

TwoShoots

Marksman
Reaction score
Water, fiber bars, first aid kit, midland weather radio with dog whistle, computer backup drive, lanterns, battery power for cell phone, and bucket portapotty, and a pistol goes with me
This is about what I have in mine too. I also use it as a root cellar for 1 year of WIse Food buckets in case someone fires up the war machine again and I don't feel like rejoining civilization. 🙄

For those that have pets that will not go into the shelter, they're statistically much more likely to survive unscathed if you just set them free and let them find their own spot outside. They're lower to the ground and able to get in holes you would never find, much less fit in.

Also, is this website extremely slow for anyone else?

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
besides all the gear Mr Glock mentioned (my wife goes a bit overboard too) .....since our cellar is 100% underground that I built myself all that is exposed is the door......I keep a 12 ton bottle jack and a couple 6" short timbers in case I need to jack the door open. I refuse to register it with the gumbit....my friends and family know about it. We spent a few minutes in it twice now the past week or so with storms going right overhead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom