An Apollo Engineer explains the Saturn V rocket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched that yesterday. The IU is hardwired and guides the first three stages. It checks the guidance 25 times a second. Where I am vs where I should be at this point in the journey.

The F1 rocket motor puts out 1 million pounds of thrust and is fuled by a 50,000 pound thrust jet engine pumping kerosene and LOX. I always knew they used the fuel to cool the engines but I thought it would have been the LOX instead of the kerosene due to the low temperature of the LOX. They cool the engine with 800 degree kerosene.

I wondered when in the flight the escape tower was ejected, now I know.

I found it interesting all of the third stages of every mission except one were in orbit around the sun.
The Apollo 12 third stage was given a different command of 25 more miles which put it in a moon orbit instead but it was captured by the sun and it keeps the unusual different orbits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J002E3

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, seeing this in person was one of the most awe-inspiring things I've ever experienced.

I'd put it right there with seeing the Grand Canyon in person for the first time.

Gonna have to watch this video tonight.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Screenshot_20221230-135946_Facebook.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom