Environmental BS rant...grrrrr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm doing a business valuation on a company in the concrete industry.

In doing industry research I scan news, developments, tech and research involved with the industry of the company I'm valuating.

9 out of 10 pieces of information are about "sustainability or green innovation or low carbon".

Come on...it's ****ing concrete.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm doing a business valuation on a company in the concrete industry.

In doing industry research I scan news, developments, tech and research involved with the industry of the company I'm valuating.

9 out of 10 pieces of information are about "sustainability or green innovation or low carbon".

Come on...it's ****ing concrete.
Depends what additives they put in the concrete. That stuff does leach into the ground and some of it is really bad.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my work, we sell liquid drain openers. What do you do with liquid drain openers?? Pour it down the drain to work its magic. However, if a container is damaged, we can't pour it down the drain because that's a violation of the law. We are required to put it in a plastic bag, seal it, and then put that into a special 5 gallon bucket that is sent to hazardous waste processing plant. I've been told that it costs us $50 to process that bucket --- for something that costs less than $10 and is meant to be poured down the drain.

Insanity abounds.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
High School Reaction GIF by Film Society of Lincoln Center

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my work, we sell liquid drain openers. What do you do with liquid drain openers?? Pour it down the drain to work its magic. However, if a container is damaged, we can't pour it down the drain because that's a violation of the law. We are required to put it in a plastic bag, seal it, and then put that into a special 5 gallon bucket that is sent to hazardous waste processing plant. I've been told that it costs us $50 to process that bucket --- for something that costs less than $10 and is meant to be poured down the drain.

Insanity abounds.
Our government at work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends what additives they put in the concrete. That stuff does leach into the ground and some of it is really bad.
I have seen they are incorporating different fillers in concrete now.
Seashells have been used for a zillion years, but now I think it's bamboo, and some other fillers.
For the record, my dad used his bare arm to smooth out some concrete under a giant diesel generator one time because they had no tools to get in there.
He almost lost his arm from infection after that. This is why.
Hazardous materials in wet concrete and mortar include:
  • alkaline compounds such as lime (calcium oxide) that are corrosive to human tissue
  • trace amounts of crystalline silica which is abrasive to the skin and can damage lungs
  • trace amounts of chromium that can cause allergic reactions.
Smoothing that concrete, forced that stuff into his skin.
Can it leach into the enviroment? I have no clue.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Insanity abounds.
My solution, Henceforth by decree, no liquid drain opener containers are ever damaged. And we sure have a lot of plumbing clogs.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen they are incorporating different fillers in concrete now.
Seashells have been used for a zillion years, but now I think it's bamboo, and some other fillers.
For the record, my dad used his bare arm to smooth out some concrete under a giant diesel generator one time because they had no tools to get in there.
He almost lost his arm from infection after that. This is why.
Hazardous materials in wet concrete and mortar include:
  • alkaline compounds such as lime (calcium oxide) that are corrosive to human tissue
  • trace amounts of crystalline silica which is abrasive to the skin and can damage lungs
  • trace amounts of chromium that can cause allergic reactions.
Smoothing that concrete, forced that stuff into his skin.
Can it leach into the enviroment? I have no clue.
Yep that stuff will leach into the ground. Also goes up into things as well. If you store a 55 gallon food grade water barrel (with water) on concrete. By the end of summer, that water will be contaminated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom