How CHEAP can you build and AR-15???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you got lucky with that blackthorne then. Alot of their stuff is out of spec

I was just gonna say - I've seen a couple of Blackthorn products malfunction. It happens to the best of them on some occasions, but that doesn't make the exception the rule.

My philosophy is if your AR does what you need it to do then great - there's nothing wrong with it and its a tool that does its job just like everything else.

But the "just as good" stuff gets old. Don't be a hater to someone who happened to get a different brand just because they paid more for theirs (by the same token, I hate hearing folks dog one brand due to the fact that "its not as good as theirs" when 9 times out of 10, they don't even use their AR to any degree that would test its limits).

Lets all just appreciate each other's rigs and leave it at that. No "Just as good", and no "I'm better than you".

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm into my AR for $806.00 and it does exactly what I need. It's killed several hogs and can ring a 10" plate over and over at 300 yds with cheap surplus ammo.

Del-ton upper
UTG Quad Rail Handguard
CMMG Lower Reciever
DPMS LPK
DPMS Stock
Osprey 4-16x50 Tactical Scope

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who "played" along. It really is good to look at the vast chasm that exists between Low end and The Sky's the limit. We all have dreams of that 10K tricked out AR platform with ALL the bells and whistles. (notice I said AR and not "M") My question is how much iks too much. I wonder what the best Bang for your buck is? IE..Accuracy+Reliability+Affordibility. That is obviously a subjective question, but the argument could be fun.

good thread....I know I don't want to spend a fortune on one

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lets all just appreciate each other's rigs and leave it at that. No "Just as good", and no "I'm better than you".

For me, there is no better feeling than being mocked regarding my weapons choices. I have never been laughed at by people who know what they're doing, or people who can out perform me, but only by overweight, unintelligent idiots with expensive rifles.

That's what is so attractive about firearms, this hobby/business doesn't have that same snobbery that comes with other endeavors.

The man with the gun may mock the spear-thrower, but ironically the price/complexity of a weapon has little to do with its ability to do its job.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of mongrel AR's, the first was a Model 1 rifle kit on a Olympic receiver ($543 without mags), the second is a DelTon upper on a DPMS lower (about $650 without mags). Both of these guns are used for range blasting and each has around 1500-2000 rounds thru it. The malfunctions between the two can be counted on one hand and have either been magazine or lubrication related. They have eaten Q3131A, Radway Green, a lot of Silver Bear 62gr HP, some Lake City XM-193 and a little S&B M855.

A decent AR-15 can be had without spending a ton of money. Not everyone can afford a Colt or Noveske or LMT, that doesn't mean they should go without one just because it's not on "The Chart".

As for them being "just as good as a Colt", I don't think they are. There is a feel to my 6940 that is head and shoulders above either of these guns but it's nearly impossible to describe.

Sorry for the hijack, Carry On.

Latest posts

Top Bottom