Paint recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravengraving

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old Volkswagen I’m bringing back to life that could really use a paint refresh. Given that it is no show car or special (other than to me), I’d like not to spent a ton on a paint job. I know there is the old stand by of Macao but I’m hoping someone here knows or has experience with a backyard painter or local shop that does decent work and a reasonable price. Thanks in advance for any leads.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no help, but thread reminds me of my 68 VW. Bought it for $100, didn't run and was 3 different colors from body parts that were replaced. I bought cans of red spray paint from graingers and painted it in my dad's garage. It was still ugly but at least it was the same color :)
All it needed was points and plugs and fired right up. Drove it for years as a daily work car

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old Volkswagen I’m bringing back to life that could really use a paint refresh. Given that it is no show car or special (other than to me), I’d like not to spent a ton on a paint job. I know there is the old stand by of Macao but I’m hoping someone here knows or has experience with a backyard painter or local shop that does decent work and a reasonable price. Thanks in advance for any leads.
Maaco is probably going to be your cheapest option. Paint and materials are crazy expensive. Wraps are expensive too.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maaco is probably going to be your cheapest option. Paint and materials are crazy expensive. Wraps are expensive too.
This. I think a person probably can get a decent paint job at Maaco. If it was me, I would do all the prep I could myself - clean, scuff, remove trim etc. The jobs that I've looked at the prep is lacking but the actual paint could have probably been ok. But for the money, they just can't spend that time.

As ShootSumm says, the materials are crazy expensive, especially just buying retail. I bought color, clear and some primer for just the plastic bits on a bike and I had a few hundred in it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
90% of a decent paint job is PREP.

Now is not time, but come Aug, visit your local Vo-Tech. They are willing, free labor. You provide paint and materials.
This is actually sound advice. When I was in HS I went through a 2 year auto body repair program at the vo-tech. We had a great teacher, good facility, and did some great work. They even put us through the Du Pont training program which at the time was pretty much the "last word" on refinishing and a pretty valuable certification.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is actually sound advice. When I was in HS I went through a 2 year auto body repair program at the vo-tech. We had a great teacher, good facility, and did some great work. They even put us through the Du Pont training program which at the time was pretty much the "last word" on refinishing and a pretty valuable certification.
Tulsa used to have some great night courses at Vo-Tech. Dad and I did the Auto Body class a couple of times. The guy that ran it was top notch. I also did the cabinet making/woodworking class a couple of times. Always wanted to do the welding class. Now everything is full time day classes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom