Radar Detectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoShoots

Marksman
Reaction score
Even way back then we had Lidar that you could point at a target and hit the trigger. It didn't emit anything until you pulled the trigger. Don't recall how far away it worked but it was further than we could ever see in the city where I worked. Put the crosshairs on your target and Bam! The signal ceased as soon as you let go of the trigger. It was enough to alert other drivers with detectors, but depending on how far away you were, it oftentimes didn't matter. And laser detectors were pretty pricey and unreliable back then, too.

Yeah those were nasty. The Valentine would alert you to laser scatter, but unless you had a car ahead of you within 50 yards or so that got zapped, YOU were the zapped one and that overly loud alert would make you poo your britches!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We run three Bell detectors. They are getting pretty old, but have saved my bacon from a ticket hundreds of times.
One has to know tactics and when to speed and not to speed.
Instant on and Lidar are impossible to beat if you're the target, but make sure someone else is the target and you're the tail to catch the scatter.
Never be the only one on the road and speed over the top of a hill. Be the second or third one over the hill because someone is always speeding to catch scatter.
I liked what I called the bait and catch technique the OHP uses. One cruiser keeps the radar on so when you pass them in the opposite direction, some think it's time to hammer down as the threat is behind you, but the catcher is about 1/4 mile behind the bait, running behind another vehicle or truck to use the instant on you.
I had to go to work 18 miles down Hwy 177 every day. There was an OHP troop in Pawnee that took that same road to and from shift change at the same time. Learned a lot from watching them.
Yeah, earned a couple tickets over the years, but that's how I learned.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better question is do PD's still use radar (X,K,Ka) , or LIDAR or something new? Does anyone know of or heard if Laser Jammers actually work? If so, they might also provide a defeat/defense on other infrared traffic surveillance etc.

I was shopping for a couple flush mounted LED pod lights, and noticed most of the brands offer Infrared pod lights. I really don't see a market for these, is there something I should know? lol. If a vehicle is broadcasting a ton of infrared light, what would that do to incoming infrared?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most cops won’t mess with you till you’re at least 15 over the posted limit. State Law won’t put it on your record unless 11 or over the posted limit. Looking at OCPD’s postings on FB, speeds of 40-50 are a lot more frequent than I thought they’d be. There are some crotch rocket riders I’d love to see them catch.

Spider27monkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most cops won’t mess with you till you’re at least 15 over the posted limit. State Law won’t put it on your record unless 11 or over the posted limit. Looking at OCPD’s postings on FB, speeds of 40-50 are a lot more frequent than I thought they’d be. There are some crotch rocket riders I’d love to see them catch.
My daily commute is the entire length of the Broken Arrow expressway. Cant tell you how many of the crotch rockets I've seen over the years at insane speeds. Not uncommon to see them travel in groups, some at times up on one wheel. And it slays me to see license plates bent up under the rear fenders, to avoid tag readers?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe they work better these days...I don't know. Back when I was working the street I had more than one person rip their radar detector off the dash or visor or wherever it was mounted and throw it on the floor of their car. One guy threw it out the window. He got really pissed when I threatened to add littering to the ticket.

I didn't write a lot of tickets...you had to earn a ticket from me. Or, if I wrote one, oftentimes it was one that could be easily fixed. Having a radar detector put you in the express lane for one.
Same here. That dashboard detector negated any "verbal warning" from me.

Ya see folks, there is new technology out there called an ON / OFF switch. You can't receive what is not transmitted. Whenn that switch is turned on, you are locked in and your $300 detector is screaming, " BEEP! POLICE RADAR AHEAD! BEEP!" It should have a recording, "BEEP! YOU'RE SCREWED! BEEP!"

While I was in college, I rode with a state trooper every now and then. One night we stopped a driver running 75 in a 55. While the trooper was walking up to the vehicle, he and I noticed the driver was very animated, bouncing around inside the car, flailing his arms and screaming. He unstrapped and approached the driver with his hand on his gun. He contacted the driver and walked back to his unit.

When he got in he told me the driver had snatched his fuzzbuster off of his dash and was smashing the hell out of it and screaming, "Gd POS has cost me three tickets this week!"

To edit, I never stopped anyone unless they were 11 over unless you were in a school zone, then it was 5 over.

Last edited:

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend has one and I don’t know the brand. It constantly announces “K band “ but it really sounds like “caveman”.
it’s so annoying with false alarms if it was mine I’d throw it out the window.
Most likely picking up the radar signals coming from the nearby cars. All those collision sensors on newer cars are K band.

Latest posts

Top Bottom