Tesla Solar Roof and Powerwalls for energy/fuel independence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have considered the pros and cons and have mostly decided that it would work for you.

After all that, my thinking would have me considering what would happen down the line if Tesla's roofing company goes kaput and no longer exists to provide support. Then you are looking at another new roof. The Tesla walls could always be replaced with something else or taken out of service altogether, but that roof will still be needing replaced. Do you want to foot the bill for it again? Would a future owner?

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have considered the pros and cons and have mostly decided that it would work for you.

After all that, my thinking would have me considering what would happen down the line if Tesla's roofing company goes kaput and no longer exists to provide support. Then you are looking at another new roof. The Tesla walls could always be replaced with something else or taken out of service altogether, but that roof will still be needing replaced. Do you want to foot the bill for it again? Would a future owner?
Good points. I think Tesla offers the warranty vs the company (will check on that) and includes parts and labor (irrespective of company) for 25 years. If all else fails, the roof is still a roof and the batteries could at least be used to store energy from the grid during off-peak times for use when the price is 2X to 5X higher depending on the season and time of day.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as i know and that is very little. There aren't any subsidies. But there are tax credit or deferment maybe. Being self sufficient or stand alone is very possible but at a higher cost maybe? I would consider a hybrid system anyway. Heck you can go off grid like my grandparents did. No electricity at all!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points. I think Tesla offers the warranty vs the company (will check on that) and includes parts and labor (irrespective of company) for 25 years. If all else fails, the roof is still a roof and the batteries could at least be used to store energy from the grid during off-peak times for use when the price is 2X to 5X higher depending on the season and time of day.
The warranty is good and all, and I think the Tesla "shingles" are pretty killer too. But the warranty is exactly worthless if Tesla goes bankrupt and out of business. They could be bought out of bankruptcy receivership but there's no guarantee of that, or that the buyer would honor it, or be able to provide replacements if you need them. You could be looking a complete roof replacement in the case of you only needing a few shingles replaced. That's what I was alluding to.

ETA: You could always build your own new battery "wall" with LifePo4 batts and a good inverter/controller if you had to. That's a big part of the money you'll be spending but has nothing to do with the roof itself.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the life span of the tesla battery? What is the recommended discharge rate? Storage has always been the hurdle i think?
The Tesla Powerwall 3 battery has a 10-year warranty (25 for the roof), with a guesstimated lifespan of 20 years. They are capable of up to 11.5 kW continuous output. I discovered today, the current max to use in the system is 4, so the total storage is up to 54 kWh. The older versions can have more stringed together but have a lower max output.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen the guy in LA's videos of his purchase on youtube? I think he's a Swedish immigrant and did some very detailed videos of his decision making process and the installation. He was very detailed and it's really interesting if you have the time to look him up and watch. He did it during the height of COVID so around 2020. His videos are pretty long and done in a series, but they are worth hunting up and watching.

Latest posts

Top Bottom