Tesla Solar Roof and Powerwalls for energy/fuel independence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What percent of discharge does tesla recommend? Lead acid can be as low as 50 percent but that limits the lifespan. Watt hours i guess?
With LifePo4 batteries you can take them all the way to zero. It doesn't hurt them at all. IDK what Teslas uses though. As much as they cost it should be those!

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What percent of discharge does tesla recommend? Lead acid can be as low as 50 percent but that limits the lifespan. Watt hours i guess?
All Tesla Powerwall batteries are capable of 100% depth of discharge without damage. The latest version uses Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) cells. The new cells are warranted for a capacity retention of 70% at 10-years, but the Tesla anticipates real-world performance to be 80-90% after those 10 years.

Last edited:

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do the shingles hold up to severe weather, thinking hail. Although you may not see that in your area. Home insurance may go up.
I've seen pea+ sized hail twice here in the last 10 years. A gentleman YouTuber from Texas reported his Tesla Solar Roof survived baseball sized hail. My insurance company is from Texas (USAA).

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen pea+ sized hail twice here in the last 10 years. A gentleman YouTuber from Texas reported his Tesla Solar Roof survived baseball sized hail. My insurance company is from Texas (USAA).
I’ve lived in TX almost 55 years and have never personally seen any hail bigger than a golf ball, and that was only once. :anyone:

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen the guy in LA's videos of his purchase on youtube? I think he's a Swedish immigrant and did some very detailed videos of his decision making process and the installation. He was very detailed and it's really interesting if you have the time to look him up and watch. He did it during the height of COVID so around 2020. His videos are pretty long and done in a series, but they are worth hunting up and watching.
I'll search for those and watch them. The one I have watched, and it's the most watched one on YouTube, is by Marques Brownlee - has 11 million views. He makes good videos on many modern devices/cars/etc.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve lived in TX almost 55 years and have never personally seen any hail bigger than a golf ball, and that was only once. :anyone:
I did not think you were that old :rollingla

Baseball-sized may have been a slight exaggeration, or the one pictured melted a bit. I'd likely wait a bit to go outside to fetch one!
Clipboard01.jpg

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Average Tesla Solar Roof Cost​

The cost of a Tesla Solar Roof can be prohibitive, depending on the size of your roof, how much power your home needs and the condition of your current roof. Installing a 12.57 kW Tesla Solar Roof costs an average of $154,000, including roof replacements costs and two Tesla Powerwalls. This is the price before incentives.

NOPE! That's more than what I owe on my house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom