Watch work microscope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I dabble in working on watches ... And have always fought finding a decent microscope I could work under. I have an AmScope which is great for inspection and giving you a stiff neck LOL. Found video of another watch maker and this scope and I bought it and wow.
I can sit up for the most part and leave my glasses on and and have all sorts of room to work. The whole "room to work" has always been the PITA.
Glasses off, glasses on to find my proper tool .. move over to the AmScope, glasses off... move back to the magnifying glass .... OK prolly made my point by now .... PITA.
This thing will come in handy for a bunch of other projects as well.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That company who makes that microscope contacted me and wanted me to do a review on my channel as well. I turned it down because it’s not something I would need, but I do think it would be useful. Since it does not view in stereo you lose a bit of depth perception, but I am pretty spoiled with the setup I use currently. Pretty handy little gadget though. I don’t think I could do detail work underneath it, but those are fantastic for inspections.

I almost wish I would’ve done it, that way I could’ve gotten it for free and just did a quick review, but it wouldn’t be very honorable I suppose!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That company who makes that microscope contacted me and wanted me to do a review on my channel as well. I turned it down because it’s not something I would need, but I do think it would be useful. Since it does not view in stereo you lose a bit of depth perception, but I am pretty spoiled with the setup I use currently. Pretty handy little gadget though. I don’t think I could do detail work underneath it, but those are fantastic for inspections.

I almost wish I would’ve done it, that way I could’ve gotten it for free and just did a quick review, but it wouldn’t be very honorable I suppose!
Had this guy not done a tear down and build with it I would have passed it by. It is going to take a minute to get used to it but not playing the glasses game has been really nice. I am adjusting a balance for beat error by moving the collet and it has been tedious of coarse but not having to fight tool spacing is great.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked in a Govt contract environmental lab I had a Meji scope to disect samples with that had amazing clear optics and decent illumination but all your tool movement was reversed. But it also had a fairly good camera attachment but was touchy difficult to focus.

We had a Bausch & Lomb that had nowhere near the quality of lenses and work surface illumination but your tool movements were normal direction and fine smooth focus movement. No camera mount.

When I attended McCrone Institute in Chicago for my microscope certifications we had Zeiss disect scopes with sharp optics and normal movement but poor stage illumination and course focus movement. Tool movement reversed and Camera mount was an in house design.

Many years later my company went all Nikon scopes and we got a disecting scope that had the best of everything and Nikon camera rigs on all our Polarized light and phase contrast scopes as well as the disecting scope.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the looks of that one. I like that it is all inclusive.

At work and at home I use a Mighty Scope. At home it goes through my computer and onto my monitor (move my laptop when needed in the garage.) At work, it just goes onto a monitor. What I like about them, if you need it, get a bigger monitor and it is larger (as my doctors say, I am getting to that age and they don't make electronic parts any bigger.)

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I think it would have been totally honorable to do a review after you had been given it, just fess up it has been paid for and be honest about the review (if that was an option.) Heck, I keep asking Rolex for for a GMT Master to review, I'd be 100% honest about it!

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would have been totally honorable to do a review after you had been given it, just fess up it has been paid for and be honest about the review (if that was an option.) Heck, keep asking Rolex for for a GMT Master to review, I'd be 100% honest about it!
Yes, their offer was to send me one for free if I'd show it in a video and give it a review. I've been contacted a few times from companies trying to sell products, but to be completely honest the products they were selling weren't ones that I'd personally have a need or use for. I see your point though. I guess I should start spamming Rolex with emails asking for a watch to review!

Last edited:

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, their offer was to send me one for free if I'd show it in a video and give it a review. I've been contacted a few times from companies trying to sell products, but to be completely honest the products they were selling weren't ones that I'd personally have a need or use for. I see your point though. I guess I should start spamming Rolex with emails asking for a watch to review!
And I'll wear it and really give it a good testing for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom