• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

South West OK WTB Car/Truck for Youngster in Need

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigb159

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough time to be in the market for used, or any cars at all.

Manufacturers' cars are so chock full of regulated devices and electronics (and executive bonuses) that they can't build a cheap car for the masses. Regular people aren't buying new and the lots are full.

This means that there's higher than usual demand for used, especially pickups.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Wife is a teacher in Elgin and has a student in great need for a dependable car/truck of some sort. He’s a great kid (how I don’t know) who never had a father and mother is spending the next decade in “the house of many doors”. No family to help, he’s currently staying with a friend’s family who does have custody of the 17 year old. Thing is they’re not exactly flush with cash and Anthony is trying to get a job to help support himself not wanting burden anyone but he obviously needs a way to drive to work. We are hoping to help the situation and have scrounged up around $3,500 we can spend on a car but are finding the pickin’s pretty thin. If ya’ll would please keep your eyes peeled and let me know if you see a good dependable car in your travels it would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks my friends
Great gesture on the part of you and wife but be aware - I did the same for two young men being raised by their uncle - bought the first a pickup when he was 16 and the next a small suv - in both cases shortly after they got the vehicles and likely their first disagreement with uncle they flew the coop - first one got into the drug scene and the other moved in with friends. Lots more to the story but I have decided that I gave them more freedom than they could handle and things may have been better if I had worked out some sort of deal to allow them to share the cost or in some way earn the vehicle over a bit of time. Don't take this as a deterrent for the great thing you are doing, but something to think through

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@crapsguy I do appreciate the word of caution. There's really no way to know what’s going on in someone’s heart and all we can do is be sensitive to the Spirit’s guidance and yes, I do get it wrong sometimes. Thought I’d mentioned this but we are having him sign a notarized contract of repayment, knowing that’s obviously no guarantee of anything but we are trying to instill a sense of ownership and responsibility. And if he does fly the coop so go speak I suppose that’s something he will have to explain when standing before his Maker. 😉

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@crapsguy I do appreciate the word of caution. There's really no way to know what’s going on in someone’s heart and all we can do is be sensitive to the Spirit’s guidance and yes, I do get it wrong sometimes. Thought I’d mentioned this but we are having him sign a notarized contract of repayment, knowing that’s obviously no guarantee of anything but we are trying to instill a sense of ownership and responsibility. And if he does fly the coop so go speak I suppose that’s something he will have to explain when standing before his Maker. 😉
sounds like a good plan -I should have done something like that - and you are right - everyone is different - my first case was a drug baby [ a seemingly good person ] so he had 2 strikes working against him - the other guy was a straight A student - go figure - what's really silly - I required my own kids to save for a car and matched what they saved for a older car

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thank you Jesus. We are no longer in the market for a car. This morning when Linda pulled into work the people in the house right next to her school had just put out a car with a for sale sign. A Chrysler 300 with 120K miles. She called me and I headed right over to check things out. Man this car is clean….at least on the inside and under the hood. The roof and hood need some paint but for $1,300.00 YES I SAID $1,300.00 nothing that a shaker can won’t fix. Good folks and after visiting all morning we grabbed a bite for lunch. Think we have made some new friends. Thank you to everyone for your help and prayers because it worked beyond expectations.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thank you Jesus. We are no longer in the market for a car. This morning when Linda pulled into work the people in the house right next to her school had just put out a car with a for sale sign. A Chrysler 300 with 120K miles. She called me and I headed right over to check things out. Man this car is clean….at least on the inside and under the hood. The roof and hood need some paint but for $1,300.00 YES I SAID $1,300.00 nothing that a shaker can won’t fix. Good folks and after visiting all morning we grabbed a bite for lunch. Think we have made some new friends. Thank you to everyone for your help and prayers because it worked beyond expectations.
Congrats!!! That sounds like a great deal, and at that price if you do have to put a little money in it, you’ll still be ahead.
Y’all are doing a really nice thing, and I hope the young man appreciates.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Would that be the 5.7 hemi Chrysler 300?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Awe! Y’all are good folks. It’s inspiring when middle classers use some of their income to directly help people in need, instead of just adding to the vacation fund or using towards down payment on a wakesurf boat lol

Keep an eye out for late 90s and early 2000s Toyota Corolla and Camrys. Commonly found in the price range and decent chance at being reliable
Yes corollas camrys, and maybe a manual civic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom