“Lake ready” boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a jon boat recently. 1991 Johnson 25hp. Very clean original motor. Guy swore up and down that it was running well in good shape. Of course I didn’t believe this and I’m still happy with the deal. Just amazed by how wrong he was. Carb full of stuff. Wouldn’t run at all. Water pump totally chewed up and gone. Wouldn’t pump water. Interesting thing is, the water pump was original. “Lake ready” is about like “he’s just a friend.”

Buying boats is a whole a different kind of thing than cars in many ways. You have to plan to dig into it in my experience.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say cars are the same way. I bought a vehicle with the check engine light on, so I knew it needed some attention. The vehicle had headers and the seller said the cel was related to O2 sensors.

I get home, replaced the O2 sensors and reset the cel and thought all was good - nope.

After substantial time and effort, found both heads were cracked and head gaskets were blown.
After replacing both heads during the top end rebuild, I am still happy with the purchase. I priced some repairs in my purchase price offer, so it’s not a money thing.

You cannot really trust many these days. They’ll sell their soul for a few dollars.

If someone is not mechanically inclined, it’s best to have someone that is check it out before you buy anything that is used.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think most people look to RIP a person off. I think most people think like my grandpa did. He paid $25k for a truck in 1992, so when he tried to sell it in 2005, he was astounded nobody would give him $25k. Some people just think their stuff doesn't stink.

Check the classifieds for confirmation.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You cannot really trust many these days.
Could be the guy who sold you the vehicle honestly thought it was the O2 sensors. It's (not really) surprising how little some "car guys" know about cars, and how authoritatively they can speak on the subject. I had one telling me all about how his car had a 460 backed up by a Turbo 350; I thought about asking him how he got that GM slushbox to mate up to that Ford big block, but I was afraid he might tell me...in excruciatingly inaccurate detail...

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is a mechanic, he teaches auto mechanics & technology to those who wish to be mechanics.

His brother in law recently came to him with a problem on his vehicle, vehicle was a Nissan pickup with about 120,000 miles,
It wasn't running very well & missing & low on power he said. The dealership he took it to told him the piston rings were shot on 2 of the pistons & it was going to cost $4000 to get it fixed.
He took it to my friend (his brother in law) after about an hour he diagnosed the problem as a coil pack wasn't secured down by the bolt & came loose, & another coil pack was bad.
A couple hundred dollars later everything was good.

How can certified mechanics at a dealership be that wrong?

There are only 3 people that I know of that I will trust with my vehicle problem diagnosis. If someone else tells me something, I get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How can certified mechanics at a dealership be that wrong?

They didn't get it wrong... it's the business model. Golfing vacations don't pay for themselves. At least, when I wrenched at a hometown dodge dealership, that's how it worked. We would tell service manager/advisor what we diagnosed, they'd decide what else needs to be done as they typically get paid commission on all work.

This is why, unless it's covered by warranty, never use a dealership shop.

Last edited:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.I..had one telling me all about how his car had a 460 backed up by a Turbo 350; I thought about asking him how he got that GM slushbox to mate up to that Ford big block, but I was afraid he might tell me...in excruciatingly inaccurate detail...

...with some help from a A-dapter kit....

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took truck to K+y+t+ne Chevrolet They gave me a price to redo front end and brakes. Wife said she wanted dealer to do it.
OK. 9 months later I took it in for an oil change special they had. They did their xxx point inspection and lo and behold I needed the front end rebuilt and brakes replaced again. I asked if they warranted their work and they said for one year. Lol. I said get after it, that it's only been 9 months so it's under warranty right? They coughed and spluttered and came back saying the mechanic pushed the wrong button and
that was a printout of previous work. Ha Ha!
I have never been back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom