10 tips to avoid speeding tickets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact number but isn't there about 100,000 laws out there, and the quote "ignorance of the law is no excuse"? Hell, even Judges don't know all the laws.

But when you do know that you are breaking the law then it is your own fault.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of cost benifit analysis going on here, but the OP suggests I invoke my fifth amendment privilege over so paltry a thing as a speeding ticket? If your livelyhood depends on your driving record, just do what you have to do. If you are a sincere and obviously broke individual, just tell the truth and take what comes.

I'm supposed to plead the fifth? What, have I got a body in the trunk?
Plead guilty and take what comes,[in my own experience, the truth will get you off more often than not] it'll cut through a lot of ********.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just drive the way everybody else is driving. Cops don't want you to drive too fast, but they don't want you to be driving too slow either.
When the speed limit was lowered to 55mph nation wide in the seventies, there were several trucker's protests.
A couple semis would just drive the speed limit, one in the right lane, one in the left.
Traffic piled-up endlessly behind them. Producing a bunch of Highly pissed-off individuals who were going places.ha!!
So the lesson is: don't drive too fast, don't drive too slow.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have slowed down quite a bit in my older years... most of the time nowadays in the Tahoe I do about 2-3 over on the highways.

In the Z it is tough... I generally do the same, but once in a while, I open it up. Bad habit. Got pulled over at near triple-digits by one of our local OHP guys. Wasn't even opening it up (not even CLOSE, lol), just was cruising a bit fast, that car is so smooth it's hard to tell sometimes. He was cool, started with the whole very stern, "Sir, do you have your license and insurance on you?" routine - trooper hat snugly on, hugging my left rear quarter, kinda outta sight and all that.

I had pulled off in a parking lot, well off the road, windows down, hands up on the wheel at 10 & 2, radio off, etc. Being a good, non-threatening, non-suspicious citizen. When I said, "Yes, sir, just one moment," and took off my sunglasses, he recognized me, as I had taken care of his very young son just a few weeks prior and got them "special treatment" as we always do in our ER for our LEOs, he said, "Awww hey, man, where you going? To work?" I replied in the affirmative and tried to hand him my DL and insurance, he just smiled and said, "You're okay, man." Thanked him, shook his hand and headed off to work.

Had I gotten a ticket, I sure wouldn't have complained a whit. My bad, my consequences. But he cut me a break. I'm trying to be better... lol.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have slowed down quite a bit in my older years... most of the time nowadays in the Tahoe I do about 2-3 over on the highways.

In the Z it is tough... I generally do the same, but once in a while, I open it up. Bad habit. Got pulled over at near triple-digits by one of our local OHP guys. Wasn't even opening it up (not even CLOSE, lol), just was cruising a bit fast, that car is so smooth it's hard to tell sometimes. He was cool, started with the whole very stern, "Sir, do you have your license and insurance on you?" routine - trooper hat snugly on, hugging my left rear quarter, kinda outta sight and all that.

I had pulled off in a parking lot, well off the road, windows down, hands up on the wheel at 10 & 2, radio off, etc. Being a good, non-threatening, non-suspicious citizen. When I said, "Yes, sir, just one moment," and took off my sunglasses, he recognized me, as I had taken care of his very young son just a few weeks prior and got them "special treatment" as we always do in our ER for our LEOs, he said, "Awww hey, man, where you going? To work?" I replied in the affirmative and tried to hand him my DL and insurance, he just smiled and said, "You're okay, man." Thanked him, shook his hand and headed off to work.

Had I gotten a ticket, I sure wouldn't have complained a whit. My bad, my consequences. But he cut me a break. I'm trying to be better... lol.

Oh yeah ... gotta love the "mount me" hats ... :naughty: :rollingla

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ROFLMAO!! Yeah, but he's not wearing it right! :nolike: It's not a baseball cap ... :D And where's his SooperTrooper sunglasses?? Gotta have the sunglasses, even at night ... ;)

Of course, if you are Officer Dangle, you don't need the hat ... :D

dangle.jpg

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im a lead foot driver too. Very bad habit...I do try to be conscientous when in traffic usually just staying with the flow of traffic, only inching it up when prodded by another sports car driver. I try to only speed up faster than 10 over when Im out in the open away from other drivers, which ironically is where I get caught the most too tho. Stupid me. But I cant help it sometimes, its tough to keep it under the limits with these cars out on the open highways.

I drive a big red 4x4 Dodge truck. I guess it never appears I'm speeding, plus I blend in with the other 9000 trucks on the Okie highways. Don't get me wrong, I love a nice sports car though...

you didn't show him your CCW...seeing as you had your kimber in the door panel? :D

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive a big red 4x4 Dodge truck. I guess it never appears I'm speeding, plus I blend in with the other 9000 trucks on the Okie highways.

This is so true. Whats crazy is that I seem to drive faster in either of my 4x4s or my AWD/4x4 SUV than I do in my cars and weirdly have never been pulled over once in a truck anywhere.

Usually during the daytime when Im heading in to the big town to take care of stuff Im just trying to blend in with all of the other race car drivers heading west on the BA in to Tulsa. Its coming home late at night with not many cars out heading back out to the country on little ol hwy 51 where my dumbazz gets in trouble. After Oneta Rd you better lock it in at 57 and below in to Coweta or theyre gonna get ya. And even then Ive been pulled over because the exhaust on the G35 sounds so sweet that it sounds like its going alot faster than what it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom